Why Did You Choose Your Username And Avatar?

I used the name of a ferry boat that used to run between Liverpool and Isle of Man, in the Manx language, meaning "Woman of my Heart", later, I thought, why stand behind a curtain?, and finally added my real name and location, I have nothing to hide. I should say that some of my ancestore came from the island.

I didn't choose mine. It was given to me in a forum about 20 years ago. The forum no longer exists but I met a lot of great people there so I use the handle as a memory of better times.
My avatar is just a stock photo of the machine I use in my garage.

50+ years ago, when I was a freshman at college, I was talking to the Resident Dormitory Advisor about the good and bad things about cities. He was from Portland, Oregon and felt that it was the smallest city that he would want to live in, because it had just enough arts and culture to be bearable, but someplace like New York or San Francisco was more to his liking. I was from a rural background, with the nearest city about 4,000 people, surrounded by farms and forests. I expressed a dislike for city life, and found that I could get enough culture from books, movies, and TV but an occasional trip to a city to see something special was nice. He accused me of being "militantly Provincial." After a few seconds of thought, I agreed with him. He was dumbfounded!

The avatar is a WWII C-47 (military cargo version of the Douglas DC-3) that I flew in Alaska for years. The photo was taken on a beach in Bristol Bay, where we were picking up 3-1/2 tons of Sockeye Salmon to take to Anchorage for sale to the fresh market. I flew these planes all over Alaska, from halfway out the Aleutian Islands, to Barrow in the far North, to Ketchikan in the Southeast Panhandle. and just about everywhere in between.

The name Aukai, is ocean swimmer, ocean traveler, seafarer in Hawaiian. I've been in on, and around the ocean since I was a toddler
The Avatar is my uncle's headstone, he started me into things mechanical.

I used the name of a ferry boat that used to run between Liverpool and Isle of Man, in the Manx language, meaning "Woman of my Heart", later, I thought, why stand behind a curtain?, and finally added my real name and location, I have nothing to hide. I should say that some of my ancestore came from the island.
I have been wondering for a long time John how you came up with that name. Thanks for sharing. I can sleep now. :big grin:

Mine is simply my first and middle names. I don't use my last as my wife has a fairly public career, and I like to keep things clean in that regard. I switched from using the last two motorcycles I owned, a '78 BMW and a '75 RD350 as my handle, BMWRD0, as I no longer ride. That handle is still in use on other forums, though.

I am not exactly sure how Tintin with an ice ax became my avatar, but it followed me over from somewhere.

Mine is the name of a ski town in Switzerland where I was skiing with friends in 1999. We got locked in a small village up the road where we were staying at when a blizzard came through and dropped three+ feet of snow overnight, and something like 7-8 feet up on the mountain. There was so much snow, the ski areas were closed for a couple days while everyone dug out, the hotel had plenty of beer, so we were happy, but hearing them blasting all night for avalanches was a bit unnerving. On a sad note, the next week they got an additional 17 feet of snow over a few days and an avalanche struck the village of Galtür a few miles down the valley killing a number of people at a hotel in town.

I never even thought about an avitar, I’ll have to find an interesting picture.

Mine is my first name , the R8 is not the collet type as would be appropriate here. Instead it’s a play on my last name. The avatar is a shot of 12L14 chips.

Back