1st,& 2nd knurl

Something is moving. If the work is straight and the knurler is not backing out during the cut then I don't know what could be doing this.

What is backing out? The wheel shaft/axle?

The tensioning adjuster on the knurler. What I see happening is that the pattern is getting lighter and lighter as you go in. If the work is not tapered then the only thing that can do that is that the wheels have to be applying less pressure. Since each arm applies half the pressure, it cannot be one of them; has to be both, and the only things that can do that is if the wheels are moving on the pins or the tensioning nut is backing off. It could be something else but I can't think of what it might be.

K1-201 only has a tensioner nut. The K1-44 has a tensioner nut & has an additional stainless nut. Make sure you are tightening that additional nut to prevent the tensioner nut from backing out. I replaced mine with a stainless nylock nut.

What am I missing here, Will? Have you ever seen this pattern before?

I have been neglecting the lock nut just because of the short runs pure, and simple, no excuses. Lord :rolleyes:

Although a scissor knurler isn't subject to the same amount of tool pressure as a bump knurler there is still tool pressure. Lock your cross slide if possible. Also be sure you have both wheels on centerline of the workpiece (vertical plane). The scissor tool has to be on center line of the spindle axis to achieve this. If not, under high forces when attempting a fully formed knurl the wheels will want to roll off.

Make sure your tool post is tight. You shouldn't need to pin your tool post but I had to with certain diameters w/ Ti. But my Dorian has the pin feature, not all QCTPs do. Not sure how much stickout your workpiece is but use a live center if needed to add rigidity. Can also position you compound at either 0° or 90° to help with rigidity & make sure the compound slide isn't hanging off the slide. Lock the compoud slide too.

Jiminy Crickets....

What am I missing here, Will? Have you ever seen this pattern before?

Which pic were you guys talking about? Post #33? Sorry, had 2 long days already helping a buddy move, back there again tomorrow. My eyes are tired & I'm not up for doing much catch up today.

Back