1st,& 2nd knurl

OK, I'll get back at this again, I'm the culprit here, thanks for the help.

Which pic were you guys talking about? Post #33? Sorry, had 2 long days already helping a buddy move, back there again tomorrow. My eyes are tired & I'm not up for doing much catch up today.

Post 36.

What am I missing here, Will? Have you ever seen this pattern before?

2nd pic in post #33, the small end, was this knurling before what the first pic in the same post or a different test piece?

The 2nd pic, the small end. That looks like it's wanting to double track. Starting knurling diameter is off from the pitch knurls being used. Feeding in more (the tensioner) for a deeper knurl will most likely get it back on track.

1st pic, on the right end of the larger diameter. Getting that different result from the center cause that is either where you stopped or starting the knurl. It ran over that area more than the center area when traversing. Tool pressure varied & is why it came out different. Sometimes that can't be avoided. Just compensate by knurling a long length, cut that area off & discard. If this is not a option. As you reach the end of the knurl, back the tool off (retract with the cross slide). Start end may not be able to be avoided cause this is where you are testing from proper tracking & knurl depth. Again knurl extra length & cut off if possible. You can start traversing from either end to plan for that area to be cut off.

Tool looks setup pretty square to the work & no double tracking, good job. Looks like he started the thread on the left side & fed to the right. Start of the thread can look different like I explained above but that does look like more variation than what I'm used to. Aside from the left side, the right side does looks slightly different too than the center. Could also be what I talked about above or just the camera. Knurling can give weird optical illusions on camera due to depth & focus/focal point.

Edit: Another possibility is the starting diameter that was machined. Are both ends the same diameter....in other words, is your lathe turning a taper?

BTW Mike, no need to chase perfection. That's a nice respectable knurl especially considering you just started playing around with the tool. As I mentioned above, no double tracking there & square to the axis. I've seen knurls that don't even look close to that good on commercially sold products. You should be happy with that.

Thank you very much for the encouragement Will. I'm throwing all my rubbish in the pile, and hope it helps someone with the guidance that I'm getting to improve. You guy's rock :encourage:

Will, is there a vendor you use for the wheels? When I called they wanted me to find one since I'm not a company.

• Wow
Reactions: rwm
Accu-trak? No, I order directly from them. They never told me anything like that.

Hummm, he asked me company name, I said personal. Then he asked me to try MSC. I know the online order form has a PO number. I think I'll just make up my own company, and PO#.
Unless you have a contact person you use.

I just looked at the order form & it has a field for residential address so I don't understand them asking you. I don't recall if they asked me on my orders, it's been a while. But I have a company name that I use (not real though). I would just make up a co name too. No contact, I just place my order with whoever answers the phone. They are not a big company.

I'm not aware of any Accu-trak distributors but then again it's been a few yrs since my last order.

Back