Arboga Maskiner EM825

You won't need or want the overload. The VFD handles all that.
Wire directly from the VFD output to the two speed switch. And remember, don't switch it while the motor is running or you may well fry the VFD.

Greg
Thanks. The odd part of this is the 2 positon speed switch. But like you say, the switch being engaged to one position or other seems key. Same as what I found with my Rawyler.
If anything, I would wire the relay prior to the the vfd. Power>Relay>Vfd> Switch>Motor.

before the VFD would be fine, I have a manual cutoff switch ahead of mine.

Greg

Just received the MT3 ER32 Chuck. I will have to make a tang though, since a chuck with a tang was not readily or quickly available for a decent price. But, honestly a M12 bolt cut down and ground to a slight taper would probably work just as well in the end if the shank.
So far everything is cleaning up nicely.
The fine down feed, cross, and longitudinal graduated dials are still sharp and legible. Luckily for me this machine shipped imperially configured.
She seems perfectly serviceable. but so much more clean up is needed. The paint was done very hastily without regard. It seems this was most likely utilized as a drill press rather than a mill. There is minimal backlash for a machine of this age. Between .005-006" in both cross and longitudinal axis' and none perceived in the fine down feed. Definitely feeling good about the purchase and potential of the machine.
All stock electrical is off except the 2 speed switch. I did take pictures and labeled the wiring as I went to insure proper identification of u, v, and w wires to make vfs install as painless as possible.
I like that they had used a tube to encase the wiring to avoid oil on the wiring and subsequent deterioration.

Attachments

• 20211210_201123.jpg
    20211210_201123.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211210_201145.jpg
    20211210_201145.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211210_201214.jpg
    20211210_201214.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211210_201316.jpg
    20211210_201316.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211210_203153.jpg
    20211210_203153.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I hooked it up to the vfd and started slowly trying the rotation and gearing. Unfortunately it sounds like there may be a foreign or domestic object rolling somewhere near the spindle. It sounds like its right up front near the spindle. Intermittent and not very harsh. I shut it back down to avoid any further damage. I do not see a indicator or fill point, but can't help to wonder if the the gearbox is filled with oil.
Didnt see or read anything on that. The parts manual is in Swedish, but does not look like operators manual or would have that info.
See attached. For the newer version U2508.

Attachments

• Arboga-U2508-parts-manual.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
The parts diagram doesn't show any seals, so assume it isn't oil bath, the same as my drill press. It was fairly noisy till I lubed it up with way oil. Must need done again as I don't remember where I got the oil onto the gears. You'll need something that sticks, like way oil.

Greg

@rodm717

I wonder if you have contacted the manufacturer to find out if they can provide a Manual in English?

Below is a link and there is an email link at the top of the web site. I think it's worth an email to investigate access to a manual you can actually read.

Machinery Scandinavia

Also, Lathes.com lists the manual for sale.

Lathes.com

Last edited:
Google Translate may work for you as well, I use it occasionally for descriptions on foreign sewing machines. Might not be 100 percent grammatically correct, but it gets the gist across most times. Free.

@rodm717

Here's a link to a web site with many Arboga manuals. EM825 is listed but it's only exploded parts views without a list of part numbers.

At least it's free.

Arboga Manuals

The parts diagram doesn't show any seals, so assume it isn't oil bath, the same as my drill press. It was fairly noisy till I lubed it up with way oil. Must need done again as I don't remember where I got the oil onto the gears. You'll need something that sticks, like way oil.

Greg
I was leaning towards that, but didnt want a mess when i crack the head. I do have Mobile Vactra #2 way oil and Velocite #10 spindle oil for maintenance of my other machines.
@rodm717

I wonder if you have contacted the manufacturer to find out if they can provide a Manual in English?

Below is a link and there is an email link at the top of the web site. I think it's worth an email to investigate access to a manual you can actually read.

Machinery Scandinavia

Also, Lathes.com lists the manual for sale.

Lathes.com
The cost at Lathes.com is a little silly. I did visit the manufacturers website, but did not find literature there on the EM-825. I will try contacting them for additional information and hopefully a copy of the manual.

Back