Central machinery 12x36 lathe wiring

I did have contactor wrong, I had wire on 3 of contactor in stead of L3 to transformer, I do have 240 across on transformer now, the power light comes on, but motor does not make a sound

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpeg
    IMG_4537.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4536.jpeg
    IMG_4536.jpeg
    569.4 KB · Views: 60
OK! good news. Can you hear the contactors when they pull? Clacking?
I've been wondering if those contactors might have a bad contact or two
We can test them- I'll post some steps you can take- give me a couple hours
Good work so far....:)

Last edited:
No noise or anything from contactors

Alright- let's test the normally closed contacts:
1) Unplug the machine
2) Disconnect the wires from the #2 (lower left hand terminal) on each contactor
3) Put your meter on beep mode- make sure it beeps when you touch the probes together
4) Put the probes on terminals 1 and 2- should beep. Test them both.

I can't say for sure but it sure looks like the test buttons in the center of each contactor are not sticking out far enough?
That could be a clue- the contact bars could be stuck down- hmmm not sure
(this pic is before you fixed the transformer wire, but you can see the buttons look flush)
IMG_4530.jpeg

Last edited:
I hope not to upset a good tech teaching here, but I give great Kudos to Mark for his share of knowledge. I know enough to be dangerous, only when I am in front of panel myself. I’m following along to help my understanding better. I have some troubleshooting to do on my big mill, when I get it inside and ready to hook up.

Carry on, my good men!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly appreciated, he has been very helpful,

Disconnected wires, tested from terminal 1 and 2 and nothing, both contactors were the same

Took contactor out, looks pretty burned up

Ah, shoot. I was hoping that wasn't the case. Well, the good news is they are not expensive to replace, but they are a mini style
that you would probably have to get from China- you want a link? Now we know why the PO jury-rigged it.
Some folks at this point would tear it all out and replace with a VFD and 3-phase motor, but that's a few hundred bucks.
New pair of contactors: maybe 30$ total.
And the other good news is your transformer is good since those are unobtainable, at least in that physical size.
So you aren't out anything except a couple days time so far.

One member last year, we got to this point and he tore it all out (his contactors were ok)
without telling me. We were like two posts away from finishing and firing it up. I was not pleased, but what can ya do? LOL
Let me know what you want to do. I'd like to see that thing run also.

Last edited:
You want to set it up to run just forward while you wait for parts? I think we could get one of the contactors to
work maybe. Worth a shot
Oh, by the way- let me know how deep the box is and how wide the contactors are-
we might be able to use standard-size contactors which are quicker to get.

Back