Corona-Just My Thoughts Only

I know a guy that tested positive, he still went to work and hung out with hundreds of people and no one else caught anything from him......

There are various types of Corona virus testing kits, unfortunately the most common is looking at an anti-body to the Corona virus, which is often either delayed or is seen post infection. The antibody testing kits are also quite variable in their results. The PCR testing is much more specific, but results can take days if not weeks to come back, there is also antigen testing kits. One needs to factor in the amount of viral load present in an individual that factors into transmission, i.e. there needs to be a high enough level and volume (route) to transmit the virus, virus load peaks early on in the infection process and will subside as one mounts an antibody response. I saw this with HIV when I treated patients, those that were treated with low or undetectable levels of virus had lower risk of infecting others. It is not uncommon for one to test positive to the Corona virus and be completely asymptomatic, but it also reflects that the individual's immune system responded to the virus and that viral loads were low. There are many factors involved in the transmission and outcomes, but this is not a seasonal event, and the effectiveness of the vaccines are unknown and at this point unproven as to their effectiveness. I still consult for a few of the companies involved in these vaccine developments/clinical trials. Will I get the Corona vaccine when it becomes available, most likely yes, but I do not take annual flu shots because I had paralysis from it in the past.

To say that out of 100's of people no one caught the virus, is suspect if there was no contact tracing and 2-3 week follow-up on all those individuals. There are very well documented cases of either a single individual or an event/celebration with mass transmission and often fatal outcomes. The issue is it is a bit like Russian roulette and the odds that one may have a lethal outcome increase with inter-current health issues and age. Other countries that have imposed strict measures to contain the virus such as Hong Kong, have had very low levels of transmission while maintaining a functional economy. My wife has family in HK and Macau, one of which is a medical doctor there.

<>"I saw this..."<>
Given that you have professional medical experience - can you point to an online, non-governmental (edit: and no cable or social media) source of information that can be trusted for accuracy and reliability? I have been referring to the John Hopkins site and Worldometer. Any other suggestions?

What would happen to the virus if it couldn't find a new host?
In other words, All of us stayed in doors in our shops for two weeks.
I would be willing to do it!!
I have beer in the frig. :)

I work for a large company (~10,000) that has buildings scattered around the world. We're up to 145 cases where a building needed disinfection because "someone" was infected. The problem is, the current health laws make this particular illness a real problem because:
1. You "could" ask the infected person to name every room they were in and every person they were around, and hope they remember.
2. Or, you "could" send out a company-wide email saying that if you were in contact with this person, get checked out.

Which of the above would would be more reliable? #2, right? only that's illegal. So by design, we're in a situation where infected people forgetting who they talked to could have passed it on, and the persons near them have no idea. Great.

Last edited:
Oh I've said the same thing, lock down EVERYTHING for two weeks, but aside from the freedom and rights thing, it realistically can't work. Are you going to shut off power and water, since no one's at the control consoles? Are you going to close the hospitals? If hospitals stay open, how does a patient get there, by car? What if they need gas, or their car breaks down? There are some infrastructures that just can't be closed. That said, one approach would be for volunteers to sign up to live at their jobs for 2 weeks, which can work as long as they don't interact with anyone else.

This all assumes that people are willing to work together for the greater good. In some countries, the government can force it to happen, but here I fear it can't/won't because people are way into just themselves, never mind the aforementioned freedom and rights claims.

Last edited:
Oh I've said the same thing, lock down EVERYTHING for two weeks, but aside from the freedom and rights thing, it realistically can't work. Are you going to shut off power and water, since no one's at the control consoles? Are you going to close the hospitals? If hospitals stay open, how does a patient get there, by car? What if they need gas, or their car breaks down? There are some infrastructures that just can't be closed. That said, one approach would be for volunteers to sign up to live at their jobs for 2 weeks, which can work as long as they don't interact with anyone else.

This all assumes that people are willing to work together for the greater good. In some countries, the government can force it to happen, but here I fear it can't/won't because people are way into just themselves, never mind the aforementioned freedom and rights claims.
Well, I TOTALLY expect a littany of "what-about-isms" after I say this, but this is essentially what Vermont did back in March and April. Let me beat all of you to the punch - yes...we are a small rural state without a metropolitan area larger than 50,000 people, yes...there are less than 1M people in the state, yes...we are not as reliant on public transportation and public services as larger metropolitan areas are...keep 'em coming!

HOWEVER, Vermont's early COVID approach is an excellent model of what COULD be done RIGHT NOW given that the majority of the spread seems to be in rural America. One of the reasons we are seeing an uptick in cases right now is because people are travelling to Vermont to either get away, college has return and in general, the pressure to "re-open" which is causing all kinds of debate right now within the state.

None of this was perfectly executed, perfectly planned, etc., and there were definitely some fumbles - but for the most part - staying home for a month worked for us if you base success on all current measures.

I thought the same think during the heart of the lockdown...wouldn't it just run it course? People would get it, pass it or sadly, die. Wouldn't it just die off? There is something that we are obviously missing here. This thing isn't going away. The only way to get back to our normal is a vaccine. Now I AM NOT an advocate for vaccines, I'm just throwing out a scenario.

Back