G0704 CNC Conversion (yes, another thread on this :) )

Another thing... for the main power cable/plug, I wanted a simple/normal connector so that I could use readily available computer power cables. When I disassembled this case and its power supply, I kept the power receptacle. But I had already ordered a new one with a built in switch and fuse...

Looking closely at what the old power supply had, there is some additional circuitry in the old plug... should I use that or go with the new setup?

Here, take a look:

IMG_3194.jpgIMG_3195.jpg

And the new setup I bought:

IMG_3193.jpg

On the breaker... so something like this one then?

Eaton miniature circuit breaker, current-limiting, 10A, 277 VAC / 48 VDC, 1-pole, C curve, thermal magnetic, 10kA SCCR, 35mm DIN rail mount.

Post the data for all the devices connected to the AC line in your control box (DC power supplies, Spindle Motor?, Fans, etc.) and I'll double check your breaker sizing.

The receptacle you posted includes a fuse. If you want to use the circuit breaker, make sure the fuse is larger than the breaker or just don't connect it in the circuit. The externally mounted switch is nice. The old socket has a ferrite bead for filtering. Not necessary, but you could include it in your wiring of the new socket if you'd like.

Just realized that I will need a 12v power source to drive the fans... let me order that... I rather get one like the 5v that to avoid having to add an outlet inside the case...61sCPIIuRPL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Post the data for all the devices connected to the AC line in your control box (DC power supplies, Spindle Motor?, Fans, etc.) and I'll double check your breaker sizing.

Thank you. Will do that exercise tonight when I get home.

The receptacle you posted includes a fuse. If you want to use the circuit breaker, make sure the fuse is larger than the breaker or just don't connect it in the circuit. The externally mounted switch is nice. The old socket has a ferrite bead for filtering. Not necessary, but you could include it in your wiring of the new socket if you'd like.

I think that I changed my mind on this... the receptacle is supposedly rated for 15amp.... the fuse that came with it is a 5amp fuse... I am just going to wire this, using SJOOW-BK 12/3 cable, directly to the breaker with a 10' cable and heavy duty plug... same stuff I used on the plasma cutter...

Last edited:
I keep finding stuff that I forgot to buy... Needed a RJ45 feed thru case coupler...

4BFA20F9-B919-4885-9027-80B92239A2CE.jpeg

Here we go:

X-Axis - NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 3/8” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4BC) - 5 Amps
Y-Axis - NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 3/8” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4BC) - 5 Amps
Z-Axis - NEMA 34 640 oz-in Stepper Motor (KL34H280-45-8B) Dual shaft - 6.3 Amps
Power Supply (1) - 48VDC/12.5A Switching CNC Power Supply - Max output 12.5 Amps
Power Supply (2) - 5V Breakout Board Power Supply - Max output - 3 Amps
Power Supply (3) - 12V Breakout Board Power Supply - Max output - 5 Amps
Fan (1) - 12V - .5 Amps
Fan (2) - 12V - 1.0 Amps
1/8" Nylon Electric Solenoid Valve 12V DC Normally Closed NBR - 12V - 0.417 Amps

I do not think there is anything else that will be running out of this box...

Oh, and a photo... making room for the second power supply. It is a small unit. About the same size of the 5V power supply... moved the large power supply to the left... small power supply to the right... 12 V power supply will sit between them. Enough space to route the wires.

Oh.. and fixing the crooked install of the C6 board... driving me crazy seeing it like that...

IMG_3198.jpg

Okay... everything straighten out... cable organizers in place... and power supplies moved to allow space for the one coming...

One more photo with these changes done.

IMG_3200.jpg

X-Axis - NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 3/8” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4BC) - 5 Amps
Y-Axis - NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 3/8” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4BC) - 5 Amps
Z-Axis - NEMA 34 640 oz-in Stepper Motor (KL34H280-45-8B) Dual shaft - 6.3 Amps
Power Supply (1) - 48VDC/12.5A Switching CNC Power Supply - Max output 12.5 Amps
Power Supply (2) - 5V Breakout Board Power Supply - Max output - 3 Amps
Power Supply (3) - 12V Breakout Board Power Supply - Max output - 5 Amps
Fan (1) - 12V - .5 Amps
Fan (2) - 12V - 1.0 Amps
1/8" Nylon Electric Solenoid Valve 12V DC Normally Closed NBR - 12V - 0.417 Amps

I do not think there is anything else that will be running out of this box...

Oh, and a photo... making room for the second power supply. It is a small unit. About the same size of the 5V power supply... moved the large power supply to the left... small power supply to the right... 12 V power supply will sit between them. Enough space to route the wires.

Oh.. and fixing the crooked install of the C6 board... driving me crazy seeing it like that...

I count the following AC loads.
  • Power Supply (1) = 600W
  • Power Supply (2) = 15W
  • Power Supply (3) = 60W
Everything else is driven by these supplies. That's a total of 675W or 5.6A at 120VAC. With solid state loads like you have, there isn't much concern about inrush amperage, but either way I'd install a 10A breaker. 6A is probably too small and 7, 8, or 9A are unusual sizes to find.

By NEC code, your minimum power conductor wiring should be 14AWG. 16AWG is acceptable from an ampacity standpoint but I wouldn't go smaller.

Last edited:
Thank you!! 10 Amp breaker ordered.

I am using 12AWG for power wiring. This is from outlet to breaker and from breaker to each power supply (via one of the distribution blocks you suggested).

Back