Is this a lot of food?

I've been a diabetic for over 30 years. Have learned a few things about eating. In actuality almost anything can be eaten, in moderation. Carbs provide energy. Which carbs to get a balanced diet is the question. Sugar will provide energy but little else. Beans and grains in their most natural states provide many of the things you need in addition to energy. Humans are carnivores whose natural diet is a lot like a wild dog. Humans have probably been successful because they have been adaptable. They would eat anything they could find historically. Your body has adapted to this. Modern sources of food have made it possible to eat too much of almost anything. Eat less and eat more variety. Forget the latest & greatest diets. I've seen many diet fads come & go. They have included: eggs are bad for you, butter is bad for you meat is bad for you, sugars in a myriad of forms are bad for you, anything processed is bad.... on & on from more or less, sometimes much less, "authorities". Just what is "processed? Cooking? Grinding, mixing, canning, smoking, microwaving, irradiating, Are any of these 100% good or bad?

Where do you draw the line on what you will eat? Is that line good for you? The more varied your menu the less likely you are to eat excessive concentrations of any one type of thing. Get out and explore the food world. Have squid for lunch, with a glass of cheap wine. Make a salad out of the edible weeds you can find for free. Grow something yourself even if it's just a pot of herbs.
Larry,

I like your thinking.:encourage:

Cathead

I don't know anything about the Atkins diet. I've never even read what it consists of. I said that I had never followed any of the "fad" diets. To me, eating 4 ounces of this, with 4 ounces of that is just stupid. Hardly anyone has the will power to follow instructions like that for the rest of their lives, so they end up in an endless cycle of diet yo-yo.

Nothing in that list is bad - eat all you want. Throw some bacon in there too. I too, lost weight at an alarming rate eating the stuff on your list - and, I was never hungry.

The human body cannot survive on a strictly vegetarian diet without serious supplementation. There are B vitamins that are only obtained from animal products that the body needs. This is why I call all the vegan advocates idiots to their faces. Animal exploitation at its finest. That's what a carnivore does.

Unconvince yourself. The human body evolved eating lots and lots of meat. We were meat eaters long before we were gatherers.

I'll bet that your blood magnesium level is very low. Think about supplimenting your diet with some Magnesium Citrate.

So do I.

Yeah, you have to check the labels on these foods. About 45% of the total calories on this lot comes from the sugar. I wasn't kidding when I said that sugar was addictive. Stop your intake of it and you will experience withdrawal symptoms.
veegetarianism and vegan are 2 entirely different things. I never ever (in my life) endeavored to become a vegan. Because a) it's too hard and b) it to me is more virtue signaling then anything else. And a reason to exert moral authority over other's for it's own sake. Over 500 million people worldwide subsist on a vege diet. I myself felt bettet, perhaps had clearer thoughts when I didn't eat meat. I stopped going to the chinese buffet after I became a veg. What would I eat?? Then a day came I went anyway. And you know what - I enjoyed myself MORE then when I'd eat the meat. That's no bull.

I' ve often said that a transition from meat to no meat is more about limiting food variety (to the individual). That doesn't mean you don't miss it some, at least initially. Vegetables can be prepared in so many different ways I was to learn that I really didn't miss it eventually. Not a lot anyway.

What am I to unconvince myself of? That meat is 1 of the most unhealthy things we eat. Can't. It's truth. People will allude to the Inuit?, Jordan Peterson, the proven "FACTS" of evolution, the bible, etc. etc. None of it is applicable to the typical life in 21st century America (or anywhere). I never did will endeavor to be a fanatical vegan. But at the same time I don't want to exploit anyone or anything. I can't imagine the thrill people obtain from that.

We ate meat before vegetables? When my ancestors were alleged to swing from trees they didn't pull any fruit off the branch? I don't get that at all.

Sounds good to me- I weigh 145. Gotta have balsamic vinegar for the broc though
Yes, It's pretty good I must say. I'm eating a huge plate of broccoli with a few onions
with balsamic vinegar! Thanks Mark!

This thread leads me to believe that machinists know more about how to eat than the feds :)

This thread leads me to believe that machinists know more about how to eat than the feds :)
We aren't bought and paid for by the food and drug industry.

How can we even take these idiots seriously when they publish charts like this:

1705206001433.png

Anyone who even contemplates following these "guidelines" is doomed to a life of obesity, diabetes and an early death. When I saw this, my first reaction was, "this is a joke...". Unfortunately, it's not - they are serious. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was written either by a 5 year old, or someone from the sugar industry. To me, the real food items on this list are:
1) Skinless chicken breast. Okay, but leave the skin on.
2) Boiled or poached egg.
3) Whole milk.
4) Mozzarella cheese.
5) Whole egg fried in butter. Okay, but substitute bacon grease for the butter (after all, you just cooked the bacon!).
6) Cheddar cheese.
7) Ground beef.

Notice that there isn't any pork, beef other than ground, lamb, goat, camel or fish on their list. Maybe these groups couldn't match the payoffs that the sugar industry offered.

For normal people, absolutely none of their "To be encouraged" group should be eaten, with the exception of maybe the kale and occasionally the watermelon. The rest of that group is just sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar and more sugar.

Ok next question.

Is 2 main course plates, heaping, but not with items falling off (but it's borderline), excessive at an all you can eat chinese buffet? No soup, no dessert (I should have had a little today), only the pepsi I paid extra for (and I always specify no ice). Soooo much food is wasted in these places, people are such garbage. They should be tossed in the bins along with the lbs. of food they waste. I practically lick my plates clean.

I discovered this place basically in early 2020. Went right up to covid, then they started the full serve nonsense - I had the servers turn their backs on me and walk away when I said "more" more then twice. Stopped, then started again 2 weeks ago. This is my 3rd visit since 2020. The guy who seated me seemed annoyed to see me. Does it seem likely I'm 1 of the people who is dragging the profits down? Other people are so damned indulgent.

Check out Kromarty. No I'm not choking her, just showing offnher goatee.

Attachments

• 20240119_161022.jpg
    20240119_161022.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
for a man. For dinner.

3 hamburgers (fairly small after you cook them), well done, ketchup, no buns.

3 pretty small microwaved baked potatoes, maybe 1/2 teaspoon of butter on each.

12 oz. broccoli, microwaved, nothing added.

Left something out. This constitutes 1 of 2 meals per the day.

I missed this thread.

One possible way to answer is: what are your weight and height? You can then see if your weight is too much relative to your height. Can plug them in into an online calculator of BMI. If your BMI is high the answer is: yes it’s too much food.

Another way to answer is to use an app like MyFitnessPal. You input EVERYTHING you eat and drink (snacks, etc) and if you are honest and reasonably accurate in 1-2 weeks you gain a nice global impression.

I did this for 2 weeks a couple of years ago. Before this exercise I thought my diet was reasonable but after two weeks it turned out my diet was quite bad: I take in far too little protein and too much empty calories. It was really eye opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is 2 main course plates, heaping, but not with items falling off (but it's borderline), excessive at an all you can eat chinese buffet?
Depends on what you select. I would say that a plate full of meats and Chinese vegetables would be fine, but it depends on how the prepare it. Is there sugar in the prep? If so, how much?

No soup, no dessert (I should have had a little today), only the pepsi I paid extra for (and I always specify no ice).
There is also generally no problem with soups, with the again proviso of how it is prepared. No potatoes, no noodles, no won tons or any other starchy items. And no flour or starchy item as a thickener.

But hey, in my diet, you can have all the ice you want! Just make sure your Pepsi is sugar free.

The guy who seated me seemed annoyed to see me. Does it seem likely I'm 1 of the people who is dragging the profits down? Other people are so damned indulgent.
I'd ask the server point blank, "are you annoyed to see me"?

This is a cheat day. Nutritional or caloric considerations are delayed until Monday. Wasn't why I asked.

I'm eating a huge plate of broccoli with a few onions
I buy the big bags of frozen broccoli @ Sam's Club. Makes me feel like I'm eating correctly. I throw whatever I can find in with it for a bit of flavor.
I really miss my garden at this time of year. Fresh salad greens, herbs, all sorts of veggies. Plant something new every year. I've got a soil test kit for spring, first time. Is it worth it? Tending a small garden is good therapy.

Back