Jeep project

Gut it! Strip it bare! Bootheels on metal floor boards, how it should be (if you've got your CJ5 in 4WD and smokey on your tail). You won't need those axles or suspension, it'll get in the way of those Dana 60's and 37" mudders. Avoid the chrome, it will set you apart from other heep owners. And jump on the bandwagon for a junkyard 350 swap- all the other jeepers are doing it, so it must be good! And don't forget the window sticker (the one that says we wouldn't understand), it sends an important message.

Okay, jokes aside, I have had good results myself from frame straightening, and it wasn't that expensive once I found the "right guy" to do it. He built his own equipment and knew what he was doing. If you're looking for re-sale, that's money well spent. You already found out how the rest works, that front end should swap right in. You got off lucky without body damage!

I washed it today... I'm sunk, ain't I?

View attachment 420999

:laughing:

-Bear
Kinda seems like that was a rhetorical question……lol.

I‘d repair it and keep it just like it is. Looks pretty cherry otherwise.

About all I would be tempted to do to that is maybe a small lift, a little better/newer all terrains, rims of my choice and perhaps a little ecm remapping and a cat back exhaust. Then go drive the wheels off it.

I think you're on the right track. If you fix it up so it's mechanically sound and tracks straight, you're going to have a line of buckaroos leading out the corral gate back to the main road and yonder, each with fists packed with dollar bills, fighting over who gets to send their daughter to college in that cute little Jeep (and they'll be getting off easy under $10K). You're gonna make a killing.

Well... Thursday morning, I sat around waiting on a phone call. I don't get good cellphone reception in the basement or the shop, so I stayed upstairs waiting...

Finally, just before noon, I called the frame guy... he said he hadn't forgotten me, and would check with his rollback driver and call me back after lunch. I sat around until 6:00 waiting on a call that never came...

I figured he would call Friday... I was out of town with my wife Friday, celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary.

Nope... didn't hear from him Friday...

WTH...?

I guess Monday I'll start looking for someone else to straighten the frame...?

IDK... a quick phone call, 'sorry, but we can't get to it this week, is next week ok?' would be nice...

-Bear

The frame guy called me Monday to tell me he would have a rollback at my house Tuesday morning at 11:00.

I haven't heard from them since... no calls... no rollback...

So today I did a few minor modifications to my big trailer... so I can tow the Jeep. Now I can look for someone to repair the frame farther away.

20221005_150007.jpg

The biggest modification I made was to reinforce the gate with a couple of 2x12s...

20221005_150224.jpg

I'm back to looking for a frame repair shop.

-Bear

Back