Mule look alike

Been busy doing other peoples projects, got the steering knuckles cut out of 3/8 plate on the plasma table and welded up.

IMG_1508.jpg

Greg

IMG_1508.jpg

It's starting to take shape. Looking really good so far/ That thing is gonna be badass with the hydrostatic drive.:rubbinghands:

Made new spindles to match trailer hubs, got to love the Hardinge for cutting threads and and producing surface finishes for the seals to run on.
The kingpins will sit at 10 deg to get the camber I need, so bored the knuckles to take the spindle at that angle.
IMG_1509.jpg

A slight force fit and welded them in.

IMG_1510.jpg

Hub installed.

IMG_1512.jpg

Now its on to the axle beam.

Greg

IMG_1509.jpg IMG_1510.jpg IMG_1512.jpg

Made up the axle beam yesterday. Used 2 x 3 1/4 wall tubing for the main part, if it gets bent while Im driving this thing its going to hurt. Turned some rusty 2 inch stock to make the carriers for the king pin bushings. Used a hole saw in the mill to cut the 10 degree pockets for the bearing mounts.
IMG_1515.jpg

Welded them in, after pressing the bushings in had to give them a light reaming.

IMG_1518.jpg

Made up a tie rod from 5/8 cold roll, may with to 1/2 inch pipe and weld these threaded ends in.

Greg

IMG_1515.jpg IMG_1518.jpg

Have the front axle pretty much finished, did a quick mock up to determine what to build for a front frame to support it.

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

Greg

IMG_1523.jpg IMG_1521.jpg

Nice work, I really like your project.
steve

Finished the structural part of the frame. Now its steering linkage, brakes, throttle, and and and

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

Greg

IMG_1527.jpg IMG_1525.jpg

Not much to show for a full days work, spent the entire day bending pipe and fish mouthing braces on the basket for your feet,

IMG_1532.jpg

Greg

IMG_1532.jpg

Boy Howdy does this bring back some memories. great thread and build.

"Billy G"

Looking at the frame for your Mule sent me hunting for old photo's of one of my teaching projects.
sorry to hijack your thread but I think it fits.

An Austin mini engine and two Rover final drive's.

img011.jpg

Ive seen that frame before???

img012.jpg

How about adding a cab.

img013.jpg

The happy bunch that built it. ignore the bald head at the back.
.img015.jpg

img014.jpg

I did enjoy teaching. Brian.

img011.jpg img012.jpg img013.jpg img015.jpg img014.jpg

Back