Mule look alike

Now that is cool Brian. Would have liked to build four wheel drive into this thing but for yard use decided to keep it simple. What becomes of student projects like that? Must have been gratifying for you and the students.

Thanks
Greg

Tried using the light steering box that was on the donor tractor but as I'd expected it wasn't up to the task, big problem was the ratio, only 2 turns of the wheel lock to lock. Found a small box out of Im assuming an import as it has Made in France on to. Its seen a hard life though, there was a bolt broke off in it and one mounting lugs were snapped off.
Cleaned up the break with a flap wheel.
IMG_1533.jpg

Then built it up with the tig, I have a hard time getting nice edges so in my case more is better.
IMG_1535.jpg

Roughed down with the flap wheel then used a file to get the mounting surface back and drilled it out.

IMG_1537.jpg

Have most of the steering gear built, just mounting the new box now.

IMG_1538.jpg

Greg

IMG_1533.jpg IMG_1535.jpg IMG_1537.jpg IMG_1538.jpg

You are having way too much fun. Great project.

"Billy G"

Seems like slow progress but guess we're making headway. Have the steering completed, the brake linkage and pedal installed and the controls to the hydrostatic drive finished. Lots of rods to thread and linkage arms to build.

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

Next its throttle, exhaust, and fuel tank.

Greg

IMG_1541.jpg IMG_1542.jpg IMG_1543.jpg

It's coming along nicely! Nobody's timing you...lol! Haste makes waste.

Finished up the throttle mechanism, built a switch enclosure and got the exhaust system fabricated. Used what I think was a muffler off an older snow mobile, certainly quieten down the exhaust noise, now I have a loud engine.

IMG_1547.jpg

Greg

IMG_1547.jpg

The infamous wheel spacer that broke my lathe.

IMG_1568.jpg

Greg

IMG_1568.jpg

Very enjoyable thread. Thanks for posting.

The air filter that was on the engine was folded plastic, couldn't figure any way to reuse it with a remote filter. Today I whittled out and aluminum adaptor that will cross over to ABS drain pipe to reach the new filter. Which has yet to be found.

IMG_1569.jpg

Greg

IMG_1569.jpg

Built the air filter box and salvaged the filter cover off the old mount. The piping is done and built a trailer hitch. Made up exhaust flags and have it bolted up. The end is in sight, need to modify the choke mechanism to use a remote cable on it and probably a couple of other little things then tear it apart to paint.
I usually wash something like this down with water based degreaser then pressure wash to get any oil off before painting but given the season guess a solvent wipe will have to do.

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Greg

IMG_1573.jpg IMG_1574.jpg

Back