Need help with used pm1030v

and they eat batteries like no tomorrow
I have several Digital gauges and the batteries last a long time. They have three Volt Li-ion coil sized batteries. I cannot recall the exact size at this moment, but perhaps CR2032? These batteries have about a 10 year shelf live and even last a long time a standby current drain. Where as, the small button alkaline batteries that you find in many of the cheaper gauges do not last all that long. But like you said very cheap.

Also on harbor freight I noticed this one micrometer kit . Is it usable or it’s junk?
Some of the stuff you get from HF is ok and some of it is junk. If you really want to go that route, read lots of the reviews, especially the ones where people really try to study them and their performace. .

I have some good mechanical gauges (Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc.) , but find I usually use my digital ones. For me the accuracy and repeatability has more to do with my measurement technique than the measurement performance of the gauge. My digital gauges typically have a 1 inch range and 0.0001" resolution. They switch from metric to inch scale at the push of a button ... a Nice feature. Also, while they say 0-25mm they range to a little more than 1 inch (25.4mm).
Dial gauge (plunge style) micrometer at ~$64 on Amazon. I mentioned it before, bit I check the resolution/calibration on these using somevery expensive 1 micron mechanical micrometers and the digital one is dead on and has less backlash. I find it really handy to have the long through plunger. Also, a known thead size for the tip.
--- Clockwise Tools DITR-0105 ( I have 3 of this model and the optional cable(s)) and the
--- Clockwise Tools DITR-0105N (which does not have the auto off feature for the display)
Even with the out the auto off feature the current value remains in the gauge and is visible when you hit the on button.
These particular units have a thicker and stronger metal case than the ones that cost about 1/2 this much.

C-shaped Outside micrometers that I purchased (set of 4 sizes, 25, 50, 75 and 100mm, $184 in 2021). Likewise, with 3V li-ion coin style batteries that seem to last a long time. They have both mechanical and digital read outs! I purchased these a couple of years ago and the batteries are still working.
Unfortunately, they are not selling this set any more, but do sell the individual micrometers.
Mostly, I use the smaller two sizes. If the price seems too good to be true, like $20, don't buy it. There are a bunch of knockoffs. There are versions with plastic handles which then do not have the mechanical readout. I have never tried those.

PS. I have purchased alot of parts from AliExpress and have never had a problem. Shipping is sometimes free and it can take up to 3-4 weeks to get the item as it seems the shipping carriers group shipments to the states and then fly them here. I did buy some cables that that turned out to be a different connector style(angle) than I ordered. I wrote the seller and he shipped the correct ones and said I should keep the others.

Attachments

• Clockwise DITR-0105.PNG
    Clockwise DITR-0105.PNG
    269.1 KB · Views: 28
  • CDWAS ouside micrometer set.PNG
    CDWAS ouside micrometer set.PNG
    784.4 KB · Views: 26
  • CDWAS 0-25mm Ouside micrometer.PNG
    CDWAS 0-25mm Ouside micrometer.PNG
    397.4 KB · Views: 27
I have several Digital gauges and the batteries last a long time. They have three Volt Li-ion coil sized batteries. I cannot recall the exact size at this moment, but perhaps CR2032? These batteries have about a 10 year shelf live and even last a long time a standby current drain. Where as, the small button alkaline batteries that you find in many of the cheaper gauges do not last all that long. But like you said very cheap.

Some of the stuff you get from HF is ok and some of it is junk. If you really want to go that route, read lots of the reviews, especially the ones where people really try to study them and their performace. .

I have some good mechanical gauges (Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc.) , but find I usually use my digital ones. For me the accuracy and repeatability has more to do with my measurement technique than the measurement performance of the gauge. My digital gauges typically have a 1 inch range and 0.0001" resolution. They switch from metric to inch scale at the push of a button ... a Nice feature. Also, while they say 0-25mm they range to a little more than 1 inch (25.4mm).
Dial gauge (plunge style) micrometer at ~$64 on Amazon. I mentioned it before, bit I check the resolution/calibration on these using somevery expensive 1 micron mechanical micrometers and the digital one is dead on and has less backlash. I find it really handy to have the long through plunger. Also, a known thead size for the tip.
--- Clockwise Tools DITR-0105 ( I have 3 of this model and the optional cable(s)) and the
--- Clockwise Tools DITR-0105N (which does not have the auto off feature for the display)
Even with the out the auto off feature the current value remains in the gauge and is visible when you hit the on button.
These particular units have a thicker and stronger metal case than the ones that cost about 1/2 this much.

C-shaped Outside micrometers that I purchased (set of 4 sizes, 25, 50, 75 and 100mm, $184 in 2021). Likewise, with 3V li-ion coin style batteries that seem to last a long time. They have both mechanical and digital read outs! I purchased these a couple of years ago and the batteries are still working.
Unfortunately, they are not selling this set any more, but do sell the individual micrometers.
Mostly, I use the smaller two sizes. If the price seems too good to be true, like $20, don't buy it. There are a bunch of knockoffs. There are versions with plastic handles which then do not have the mechanical readout. I have never tried those.

PS. I have purchased alot of parts from AliExpress and have never had a problem. Shipping is sometimes free and it can take up to 3-4 weeks to get the item as it seems the shipping carriers group shipments to the states and then fly them here. I did buy some cables that that turned out to be a different connector style(angle) than I ordered. I wrote the seller and he shipped the correct ones and said I should keep the others.
Exactly what I was thinking. Will get almost the same setup as you. Digital with metric/imperial. You guys are amazing I learned so much it’s staggering now that I look at myself a week ago.

Got a few from harbor freight. For the chicken feeder I think they will be ok. Will order the other one too. “Fixed typos”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
While there I got this one too for helping with welding fabricating etc rough work to make the tables for the lathe and the tools cabinet. So it makes my life a bit easier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 28
Do I need to get a

3/8 X 3-1/8" 120 degree NC Spotting Drill, High Speed Steel​

or the 7 Pieces Center Drill Bits Set, M2 High Speed Steel 60-Degree Angle Center Drill Bits Kit Countersink Tools for Lathe Metalworking Size 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0 4.0 5.0

As I will be drilling quite a lot now :) one guy with a lot of videos was saying option 1 is the best and 2 better then nothing.

What do you guys think?

Or to make a set of these for option 1.

Attachments

• High Speed Steel NC Spotting Drill Bit.png
    High Speed Steel NC Spotting Drill Bit.png
    643.6 KB · Views: 26
Do I need to get a

3/8 X 3-1/8" 120 degree NC Spotting Drill, High Speed Steel​

or the 7 Pieces Center Drill Bits Set, M2 High Speed Steel 60-Degree Angle Center Drill Bits Kit Countersink Tools for Lathe Metalworking Size 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0 4.0 5.0

As I will be drilling quite a lot now :) one guy with a lot of videos was saying option 1 is the best and 2 better then nothing.

What do you guys think?
Yes, but as with all drill bits consider getting a quality US brand.

Just ordered a spindle square from Little Machine Shop, check them out.

John
Looks cool but the milling machine is 12” on the y axis. I will look there if they have a bigger one it looks very nice though

Back