Need help with used pm1030v

Shopping for the lathe maintenance wd40 rags chip brushes etc. Also on harbor freight I noticed this one micrometer kit . Is it usable or it’s junk? It says 0.0001” increments.

Added the link:

Attachments

• IMG_3823.jpeg
    IMG_3823.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Shopping for the lathe maintenance wd40 rags chip brushes etc. Also on harbor freight I noticed this one micrometer kit . Is it usable or it’s junk? It says 0.0001” increments.

Added the link:

The clear thinkers answer is to ask a question: what kind of tolerances are you looking to hold? I wouldn't expect a $15 mic to be accurate down into the ten thousands region. .001"? Maybe.

My biased opinion: spend money and purchase quality, name brand, measuring instruments. If you don't damage them, they will last for the rest of your life.

Some years back, I bought a couple of lesser known, but still quality, Japanese mics made by NSK. NSK is well-known as a world-class bearing manufacturer, but the likes of Mitutoyo dwarf them in the metrology field. None the less, they are quality, and about half the price, if you look around.

Thus my suggestion: search around for like measuring instruments. Or, spring full pop for a big boy brand.

You'll probably find that deals on this stuff used come up now that you're looking.

I find that I use my calipers way more than micrometers. I'm just not working to that close of tolerances on most of my stuff and .001" is plenty good. Most of us have a set of beater digital calipers we use for just about everything, you can go high end eventually but you will want at least one set of these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...sae-and-metric-fractional-readings-63731.html

You'll also need a dial indicator and stand, and perhaps a test indicator.

You can also go cheap with these but if you need to measure things beyond 001" having a good quality stand really makes it less frustrating.

I recently decided to up my measuring game and was very happy with pricing and service from these folks.

So, yes you can get measuring tools from Harbor Freight. I've used fairly cheap measuring tools to build some pretty darn good racing kart engines. You probably won't need a micrometer for building your chicken feeder but calipers, a combination square, steel rule, scribe, center punch, and a sharpie will get you a long way towards being able to measure, mark and otherwise build stuff accurately.

John

I bought a couple sets of HF calipers for garage beaters, and they eat batteries like no tomorrow. So, I bought a 20 pack of cheap ass batteries from Amazon. Worth the hassle? Not to me!

You'll probably find that deals on this stuff used come up now that you're looking.

I find that I use my calipers way more than micrometers. I'm just not working to that close of tolerances on most of my stuff and .001" is plenty good. Most of us have a set of beater digital calipers we use for just about everything, you can go high end eventually but you will want at least one set of these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...sae-and-metric-fractional-readings-63731.html

You'll also need a dial indicator and stand, and perhaps a test indicator.

You can also go cheap with these but if you need to measure things beyond 001" having a good quality stand really makes it less frustrating.

I recently decided to up my measuring game and was very happy with pricing and service from these folks.

So, yes you can get measuring tools from Harbor Freight. I've used fairly cheap measuring tools to build some pretty darn good racing kart engines. You probably won't need a micrometer for building your chicken feeder but calipers, a combination square, steel rule, scribe, center punch, and a sharpie will get you a long way towards being able to measure, mark and otherwise build stuff accurately.

John
Thanks lot. I already have them “calipers, a combination square, steel rule, scribe, center punch, and a sharpie” the caliper for 3d printed stuff combination square /stee rulers for woodworking, center punch for drilling some shelf’s a lot of drills, welders tig/mig/stick “not the best but workable” etc. it looks I am meeting the basic so far, knock on wood :).

I started collecting tools a few years back as I knew I would get a house and started preparing.

I bought a couple sets of HF calipers for garage beaters, and they eat batteries like no tomorrow. So, I bought a 20 pack of cheap ass batteries from Amazon. Worth the hassle? Not to me!
I got a cheapo 5$ caliper from tractor supply to calibrate the 3d printer. The battery is good so far I think they are the same as hf calipers. Max distance I measured with it was 12cm though

Will get the hf micrometers and dial indicators for rough work “the feeder”. And will pay attention to get a high end later on when they become available in used market.

Back