New EMCO Maximat V10 and Mystery Box of Accessories!

Check out these awesome original catalogs from 1969. I even found the original owners guarantee from the sale in 1971. The catalog on the left advertises some "future" models that look like the Super 11. Those must have come out later? Late 70s?View attachment 365324
Decided to frame them. Had one boo-boo up top where one of my 23Ga pin nails decided to to take an un-approved right turn.
Also check out the original 1966 Scab Beer memo.
IMG_4803.jpg

Yup, the suckage is strong with this one!

Seriously though, it's a bit heartbreaking to see all that, and how well organized it is. I can only guess that the previous owner took great care in his research to get exactly what he may have waiting his whole life to get, and set himself up with "my one and last machine" in retirement. Treat it well, and as we all know, we're just temporary caretakers of these fine machines, until we bow out and the next person takes over.

Last edited:
Yup, the suckage is strong with this one!

Seriously though, it's a bit heartbreaking to see all that, and how well organized it is. I can only guess that the previous owner took great care in his research to get exactly what he may have waiting his whole life to get, and set himself up with "my one and last machine" in retirement. Treat it well, and as we all know, we're just temporary caretakers of these fine machines, until we bow out and the next person takes over.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hello Hobby Machinists!
Today is my first official post on this forum. Up to this point I have been a lurker skimming tricks and tips where I can for my home shop. I've always been an operator of those slightly disappointing Chinese import machines (mostly Grizzly) and although they do the job I have always lusted over the beautiful high quality and high precision machines on this forum, especially those Swiss, Austrian and German imports from the 40s-70s.

I am finally the proud owner of one of these coveted Austrian Imports. The EMCO Maximat V10. It seems to have been built in 1969 based on the catalogs and books that came with it, I think... Can anyone confirm that?
View attachment 365299

This lathe mill combo was a craigslist find in northern CA and I paid $2,400 for it, which was at first a little too rich for my blood. Heck I could almost buy a bench top CNC Grizzly Mill for that kind of money. But after inspecting the machine and realizing that it was hardly ever used, and properly stored, it felt like a good deal. The real climax of this story however was the bomb the seller dropped on me right after we agreed on a price. He pointed to a 5 foot tall stack of Craftsman tool boxes and said, "those are full of tools and attachments that come with it". Every drawer is completely full, Yea...

View attachment 365302

Over the last few weeks digging though these tool chests I have realized that the value in tooling exceeds significantly what I paid for the whole machine. I have not only every accessory that EMCO sold for this machine, but the receipts for every purchase as well.

All original EMCO matching vices, full collet sets, 3 and 4 jaw chuck, compound quick tool post, tool post grinder and the list goes on. It seems the only part I'm actually missing is the EMCO dividing head. In addition to these machine accessories there are drawers full of micrometers, calipers, jewelers vices, reamers and taps of all sizes and at least 25 or 30 tools that are a complete mystery to me. As I sort and categorize each of the mystery tools, I hope the folks of this forum can help me devine their purpose.

If any one spots a tool or accessory that they are absolutely dying to get their hands on please let me know. Ill bet many of these tools I won't have a need for. I get the feeling the the original owner was a bit of a tool hoarder as many of these tools appear to be unused.

Looking forward to picking some brains and just having a good-ol chat with you all.
Signing off,
Rich
Ok another set of mystery tools.
Not sure how to lay these out in a grid or number them all. If you recognize something and know what it is, just describe it I guess.

First item of interest is the die holders in the center, there are 7 or 8 of them. Why would one need so many?
The stuff in the bottom right is just stock cutoff and scrap I'm guessing but maybe some parts are meant for the lathe?
IMG_4786.jpg

Left hand column:
Top piece, don't know.
Second, part of a mortise chisel set for a drill press.
Third, also part of the mortise chisel set.
Fourth, to hold an electric die grinder on a lathe (poor mans tool post grinder). Might be a Craftsman brand.

Next column right:
The two rubber covered things are arbors for sanding sleeves. The rectangular bar - unknown.
Next group, looks like one small collet and one arbor to fit a jewelers lathe.
Need better photos/dimensions on the other pieces in the group.
Bottom piece is part of a tubing flaring tool.

Row of nine cylinders:
First one is obviously a threading die holder (needs on arbor) to be used on the tailstock.
The other eight look like dies for punching holes in sheet stock. I don't see any punches on the table.

Third column:
T-nut and stud to hold the something (die grinder holder?) to the compound rest of the lathe.
Next right, arbor for small slitting saws.

Down:
The thing with the big hex nut on the back is a depth stop for 5C collets. Some of the rods w/threads, at lower right, may be alternative components of the collet stop.
To the right, a pull stud for a tool holder used on much larger milling machines.
Next right, a straight shank arbor for ??? What is the thread?

That's enough for now. Start over with closer details. Put each piece on a numbered 3x5 card (or equivalent).

Have we earned your Lifetime membership payment yet?

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Left hand column:
Top piece, don't know.
Second, part of a mortise chicle set for a drill press.
Third, also part of the mortise chicle set.
Fourth, to hold an electric die grinder on a lathe (poor mans tool post grinder). Might be a Craftsman brand.

Next column right:
The two rubber covered things are arbors for sanding sleeves. The rectangular bar - unknown.

Row of nine cylinders:
First one is obviously a threading die holder (needs on arbor) to be used on the tailstock.
The other eight look like dies for punching holes in sheet stock. I don't see any punches on the table.

Third column:
T-nut and stud to hold the something (die grinder holder?) to the compound rest of the lathe.

Down:
The thing with the big hex nut on the back is a depth stop for 5C collets. Some of the rods w/threads, at lower right, may be alternative components of the collet stop.
To the right, a pull stud for a tool holder used on much larger milling machines.

That's enough for now. Start over with closer details. Put each piece on a numbered 3x5 card (or equivalent).

takemymoney.jpg

Left hand column:
Top piece, don't know.

Next column right:

Row of nine cylinders:

Third column:

Down:

You blew my mind on the 5c collet depth stop. What an exceedingly useful little device.

Left hand column:
Top piece, don't know.

Next column right:

Row of nine cylinders:

Third column:

Down:

Gents and ladies, joking aside you all are a wealth of knowledge. At least 50% of the (wtf is this tool list) has been explained in the last 24 hours. Infinite thanks, Just signed up for a lifetime membership.

Ok another set of mystery tools.
Not sure how to lay these out in a grid or number them all. If you recognize something and know what it is, just describe it I guess.

First item of interest is the die holders in the center, there are 7 or 8 of them. Why would one need so many?
The stuff in the bottom right is just stock cutoff and scrap I'm guessing but maybe some parts are meant for the lathe?
View attachment 365468
A quick cleanup on that 3 jaw chuck.
IMG_4804.jpg
That's better.

Gents and ladies, joking aside you all are a wealth of knowledge. At least 50% of the (wtf is this tool list) has been explained in the last 24 hours. Infinite thanks, Just signed up for a lifetime membership.

Yep, this is a pretty amazing place.

Back