New EMCO Maximat V10 and Mystery Box of Accessories!

@Rich Henderson

I see that the thin foam layer(s) in your Mitutoyo box is deteriorated. When it looses it's spring-back, it needs to be replaced.
Take the tools out of that box until you replace the thin foam.

I recently posted the following in another thread.

Just in case you're not aware, you need to replace the thin foam layer that the mic is resting on.
I see that the thin foam is deteriorated and, in that condition, it will promote corrosion and damage the metal surfaces in contact.
That is a common problem with vintage Mitutoyo. The form fitting thicker layer seems to hold up well, but the thin layers deteriorate.
I hope the newer Mitutoyo packaging has the chemistry improved, but I don't know.
Originally, there was a thin layer in the top of the box also.
I bought a replacement foam at a craft store. It's a closed cell material, about 3/16 thick. It comes in many colors and easily available on Amazon in 2mm. Just build up layers to get the thickness you need.
Thanks for the tip. The foam in there is awful and leaves foam dust/crap everywhere. Ill take your advice on some now amazon foam sheet.

Rich, please tell me you have the full change gear set for that lathe. It should have a spacer with the set.

Also, dig around and see if he left you any other spare parts for the lathe.

Rich, please tell me you have the full change gear set for that lathe. It should have a spacer with the set.

Also, dig around and see if he left you any other spare parts for the lathe.
I don't see a stack of gears anywhere in the tool boxes. The change gears are the ones shown below?
IMG_4789.jpg
The lathe does have a full quick change gear box though.
IMG_4791.jpg
Although it appears to be in SAE TPI only. Are those feed rates at the bottom?
IMG_4787.jpg

Yes, feed rates at the bottom, speeds up top, thread pitches in between.

You need the change gear set, the Christmas tree set, to cut gears the stock gear train will not cut. Yes, it is a quick change gear box but the number of threads you can cut is far, far more extensive than the stock gears will allow. This set should be the number one priority for you in your search for parts for this lathe. They do come up on ebay but you have to be fast so keep an eye out.

I find it unusual that a guy like the previous owner did not have this set. He would have known that the lathe is not complete without it. Maybe the family knows where it might be?

Yes, feed rates at the bottom, speeds up top, thread pitches in between.

You need the change gear set, the Christmas tree set, to cut gears the stock gear train will not cut. Yes, it is a quick change gear box but the number of threads you can cut is far, far more extensive than the stock gears will allow. This set should be the number one priority for you in your search for parts for this lathe. They do come up on ebay but you have to be fast so keep an eye out.

I find it unusual that a guy like the previous owner did not have this set. He would have known that the lathe is not complete without it. Maybe the family knows where it might be?
I've reached out to the family. Fingers crossed that they find the gears somewhere in the shop. On another topic. The oil in the headstock gear box and the Norton quick change gear box both appear low and maybe original? Very orange color.
Headstock specs SAE 10 and gearbox specs SAE 140.
Can these be substitute with modern synthetic gear oil?
SAE 10 == Synthetic 10W/30
SAE 140 == Synthetic 85W/140

Any thoughts?

You will want SAE oil, it allows dirt to sink where the multi grade keep it suspended for a filter to catch.

Looks like you got a great deal. I think I saw that one if you bought it over the past couple of weeks. If it is the same one I saw (North Bay) it raised an inkling of interest but was over my size and budget for impulse buys and then was gone before my self control could be overcome. Had they shown all that tooling in the ad... ;)

Glad it found a good home

Looks like you got a great deal. I think I saw that one if you bought it over the past couple of weeks. If it is the same one I saw (North Bay) it raised an inkling of interest but was over my size and budget for impulse buys and then was gone before my self control could be overcome. Had they shown all that tooling in the ad... ;)

Glad it found a good home
It was in Santa Rosa, bought at the end of Feb or early March.

It was in Santa Rosa, bought at the end of Feb or early March.

Yep same one then, I guess it was a little farther back than I remembered. Santa Rosa is only about an hour away so well within my danger zone when something interesting turns up. :D

I've reached out to the family. Fingers crossed that they find the gears somewhere in the shop. On another topic. The oil in the headstock gear box and the Norton quick change gear box both appear low and maybe original? Very orange color.
Headstock specs SAE 10 and gearbox specs SAE 140.
Can these be substitute with modern synthetic gear oil?
SAE 10 == Synthetic 10W/30
SAE 140 == Synthetic 85W/140

Any thoughts?

I've seen a few guys use synthetic oil in their lathes. As long as it is a non-detergent oil without EP additives, it should be fine. You might want to contact the oil maker, like Mobil, and be sure you have the correct viscosity equivalent for your lathe.

Back