New EMCO Maximat V10 and Mystery Box of Accessories!

13 is also part of your combination square set, the protractor. You can set the angle or hold it on an existing piece and use the level to figure out an angle. Very useful tool.
Sadly, I'm missing the straight edge and the 45 of this set.

@Rich Henderson

You got a great buy. Congratulations.

How did you manage to be the first in line at the sellers door?

Hardly a legend; more like a PITA that the guys tolerate.

While we all vicariously celebrate your good fortune, my mind went to the guy who sold his tools to you. It is clear he cared for his machine and tools and took pride in them. That he reached a point where he had to let them go is a sadness to me and I wish him well on what is left of his journey.

It looked to me like he knew to buy good tools. That Last Word indicator is oft maligned nowadays but it is quite a good little indicator. #2 is called a back button indicator and is good for sweeping a milling table or checking run out on a round thing; it is quite versatile. In with the thread pitch gauge are some fishtails (the arrow looking things) that you will need to grind accurate threading tools. #8 is a set of small hole gauges. These came in two varieties, the full ball and half ball. Yours are the half ball type that is useful for checking the ID of shallow holes; the full ball type requires a much deeper hole to be useful. #11 looks like it will fit into an indicator holder and allow you to position it where you need it; you may be too young to find this useful but just wait ...

I agree with BladesIIB that the thing that fits across the rails is probably a base upon which a homemade tool height setting gauge was perched.
Drawer 2 coming up. Maybe a few of these make sense based on the Drawer 1 responses?

Drawer 2.jpg

Is #3 perhaps the tool height gauge used with the home made block on the ways, or just a normal height gauge to be used for marking and layout with a surface plate?
#1 I'm guessing is just a big-ol compass? What's the extra little adjuster for?
#2 I'm not 100% sure on. RPM gauge maybe?

Lastly the large Mitutoyo Caliper seems to be out about +0.0025. Can these be re-zeroed easily?

A few of my own tools have now been added to this drawer and most of the rest of these I know well or use often.

@Rich Henderson

You got a great buy. Congratulations.

How did you manage to be the first in line at the sellers door?
Great question! I don't understand it either. The post was up for 3 or 4 days and when I arrived, I was the first to come see it in person.
Ill chalk it up to luck.

Great question! I don't understand it either. The post was up for 3 or 4 days and when I arrived, I was the first to come see it in person.
Ill chalk it up to luck.
Wow !

Keep the pictures coming, please.

I have an Eclipse mini-vise very similar (if not exactly the same) as the one you pictured. I'm far away from home right now, so I can't check.
Yours is the only other one I've seen and I've never been able to find anything about it on the net. Maybe one of our other tool mavens will shed some light.

#1 The "extra adjustment" on the trammel points set (giant compass) is the fine adjustment. Typically, you tighten one point, slide the other to near your desired dimension, then use the fine adjustment to move the second point to your exact dimension. Finally, tighten the second point in place.

#2 Yep, sort of. It's a revolution counter. Coupled with a stopwatch and a little math, you have a tachometer.

You asked for it, first mystery drawer.View attachment 365334
A few items in here I think are obvious, but looking to you folks to correct me or fill in the blanks.

1) Dial indicator, the type I would mount in the mill collet to tram the head.
2) Another dial indicator but not sure what its main application is. The little vice is for mounting to a work piece?
3) Depth Gauge
4) ????
5) V-Blocks and Clamps
6) Adjustable machinist square?
7) ID gauges
8) ????
9) Adjustable Parallels?
10) Thread Gauges
11) Magnifying glass of course but for mounting into what?
12) ????
13) There is a bubble level on the back. Just a really fancy level?
14) ????
Wow Rich, you got some good stuff there!
Congratulations!

#1 is a beam trammel tool to mark off centers or circles. The "extra adjuster" is a fine adjust to precisely position the point it is attached to.

#2 is a manual tachometer. You are missing the tips.

#3 is a small surface gauge to lay out measurements on parts. The sharp point is a scribe.

Some old school stuff!

@Rich Henderson

I see that the thin foam layer(s) in your Mitutoyo box is deteriorated. When it looses it's spring-back, it needs to be replaced.
Take the tools out of that box until you replace the thin foam.

I recently posted the following in another thread.

Just in case you're not aware, you need to replace the thin foam layer that the mic is resting on.
I see that the thin foam is deteriorated and, in that condition, it will promote corrosion and damage the metal surfaces in contact.
That is a common problem with vintage Mitutoyo. The form fitting thicker layer seems to hold up well, but the thin layers deteriorate.
I hope the newer Mitutoyo packaging has the chemistry improved, but I don't know.
Originally, there was a thin layer in the top of the box also.
I bought a replacement foam at a craft store. It's a closed cell material, about 3/16 thick. It comes in many colors and easily available on Amazon in 2mm. Just build up layers to get the thickness you need.

Back