Old Bridgeport Gets New Lease On LIFE

PB Blaster was getting into the dovetail joint, but I think the light shock treatment yesterday afternoon helped as well.

Congrats! That is a nice accomplishment and makes thing a lot closer to where they should be.

Thank you very much, jwmelvin. It was a battle, but thankfully, I won this round.

OK, so the hub was finished and attached to the pulley. The question is, how did I broach/create the keyway?

So, I don't like to admit this, but I know I'm not the only guy with this problem. I either have the money and I don't have the time, or I have the time and not the money. Well, more times than not, I have plenty of time. So how did I cut the keyway? "Cut," is the word!!! Lol

I laid out the keyway at 45 degrees from the bolt circle. Then I used a Dewalt Scrollsaw to cut out the two sides of the keyway. Yes, the scroll saw is made to cut wood, but I've cut coins on it using jeweler's blades as well. Yes, the jeweler's blades have very fine teeth which should never be used to cut something 1 inch thick.

As expected, it took a very long time to make the two cuts, and I destroyed a half dozen blades doing so. Then I held the hub in a bench vise and I used a hacksaw to cut from each cut at a 45 degree angle to the depth of the two scrollsaw cuts. Then I cut the bottom of the keyway in scrollsaw.

Lastly, I hand filed a bit on each side of the keyway to fit the key.

So, this time consuming process may have saved me only 30 dollars. The time saved to find a place to have the keyway cut was worth it to me. Needless to say, I hope I never have to cut another keyway like this one. Or maybe I should say, "Don't do this at home boys & girls, we're Trained Professionals!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!View attachment 381731
Sorry, the image is slightly out of focus, but the scribed lines are visible.
Thank's for the like, Firstram.

PB Blaster is your friend fer gittin the ram loosened, up spray and tap the ram with a dead blow hammer and rock the drive handle spray let it sit fer a while repeat till it works loose ..........................BE PATIENT and persistant .................... ;)
OH yeah pull the lock bolts out and spray the PB in them too.................
Norseman C.B.:, the PB Blaster and a bit of shock treatment did the trick. Thank's again! ;)

Irwin quick grip style clamps is what I used. Rubber tips prevent any marring.

Thank you again, jmarkwolf, I should have known, I have a couple of those that are probably 24." I think you've noticed that the Ram is finally Free. My BP is in my garage; it's dry out there and the roof doesn't leak, but it's not heated. My plan is to move the ram once a week through it's full travel and keep it lubed. I wonder what the best lubricant would be for the ram seeing the dovetail is a very close fit?

Here's a short video of the BP coming to LIFE for the first time in my shop/garage at 7:46 PM on September 29, 2021. I'm sorry the video is a bit jumpy, but it is what it is. Notice the cloud of dust coming out of the pulley housing when the motor started.
Thanks for the like, devils4ever, I appreciate you taking a look at my project.

Now the Ram is Free, I removed the ram locks, cleaned and greased them and then reinstalled. Moving the Ram with a ratchet hold down strap worked, but it was a bit of a pain in the butt.

Images: #1 Both Locks removed, cleaned & Greased. #2 Front lock pocket cleaned. #3 Lock in place and head set at 0 Degrees. #4 Ratchet Strap in place ready to pull the ram forward.

Attachments

• 20211019_153654 4x6.jpg
    20211019_153654 4x6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211019_154727.jpg
    20211019_154727.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211019_161146.jpg
    20211019_161146.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211019_161415_HDR.jpg
    20211019_161415_HDR.jpg