PM-1660TL

I like your hydraulic paper towel dispenser. However I bought 500 blue shop towels that came from Pakistan. I tell people that I use Persian shop towels.

Did you fab those fat bike frames? Material?
I made 2 of the 6 frames. They are both 4130 chromoly; one is brazed, and one is TIG.

They have 2 week classes at UBI (in Oregon) where you make your own frame. The instructor (Richard Bernoulli) was the most unhelpful instructor that I have ever encountered, but I recommend the school.

There's a tech school in my town that teaches frame building.

Congrats on the lathe. If I ever upgrade my PM1440GT it will be a 1660.

On placement, I would consider moving the lathe to the right side to allow more room to load longer stock through the head and have better access to the gear cover.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like you have a very well equipped shop there and the new lathe will be a nice addition, I'm impressed by how clean and organized your shop is.

I was a little skeptical when I first read this post and was a bit judgmental when I read that you intended to borrow to buy the new lathe at what is a very steep interest rate, but I get it now, not that I would do it but I get it.

Hopefully you can find better financing rates in time, and put the savings toward tools.

On the topic of bike building, we have a class available near my home by Paul Brodie, founder of Brodie Cycles.

He now builds replica Excelsior Flat Tracker motorcycles in his garage, which at $139,000 US each they are bit rich for me though.

Check out his replica of an 1888 Whippet.

One last bike builder link, this one I've followed from Garage Journal, 44 Bikes, a great thread documenting the start of his bike building business.
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112578&highlight=industrial+design

Enjoy.

David.

Last edited:
Our breaker box is 100% full, so I cannot add another 220V outlet.

Same. Our electrician added 4 double 120s and then passed a 100 amp line into the garage for a new 100 amp sub-panel. We have plenty of capacity power-wise (gas oven, water heater, all LED lighting, etc.). The upside is we put a Sense on the sub-panel so we can monitor power usage for the business separate from the residence. It was a very clean install - all behind the outside panel so no perforation of the stucco. Now we'll just run conduit and go nuts.

My new in box Aloris CXA toolpost kit arrived today & literally every single component is either missing or damaged.

The Seller is dansdiscounttools on eBay. They put the “T”-nut and toolpost handle only in poly bags. Both of those are scratched and scuffed, particularly the “T”-nut. The toolpost had about 1/16” foam protecting it and it was punctured, causing a scratch or two on the new tool post.

The kit was supposed to include six tool holders, but there were NONE in the box. There was, however, about two 15-18” long tears in the box that had been re-taped. Looks like the heavy tool posts popped out and didn’t get put back in the box by USPS.

There was a note on the box from USPS that said they were sorry about the damage, and that they hope everything is OK. It’s not.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I put in a request for return, and I will post here how it turns out. The order was $1,180 and I have nothing usable.

It looks like this box had a very bad mishap at USPS.

Last edited:
Back