Restoring (hopefully) my new Smart and Brown SAB

Use ALM and COM. I'm guessing ALM goes to + and COM to -. I haven't tried this yet, but that's my best guess. I'll be trying this myself within the week.

Thanks WobblyHand. I’ll try this and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my G0704, I just got an old computer case. Stripped the inside and used that for installing all parts… Worked well and cost me nothing…

View attachment 424626
View attachment 424627
View attachment 424628

I’ve ordered the cheapest old PC from eBay I could find. I only want it for the case. Thanks for confirming this was the easiest/best choice

I don’t think I’ll post any pictures of how it ends up as there’s no way it’ll look as neat and tidy as your pic!! :)

More work done on the ELS this morning. I think all of the wiring is mocked up:

e82455f336b11f21f86d5456387d20ae.jpg

I seem to be getting power to everywhere. There’s only one light that’s coming on the control panel at the moment and none of the buttons work. Im guess this is because I’ve not loaded the software on to the TI board yet. Still, progress being made.

Not a lot to report. I’ve not had much time at all to do anything fun recently.

I did try and get the Clough42 firmware on to the board yesterday though. I’m currently running in to problems with what for me should be the easy bit!

CCStudio version 9 (the version that Clough used) is not supported on my Mac as it’s too old. Version 10 and above doesn’t compile the code. I loaded up an Ubuntu VM and got CCStudio 9 installed, but the couldn’t get the board connected to the VM. Smallish issues that I’ll get passed.

I got the problem with the firmware solved. Running CCStudio in a virtual machine looks to be unsupported (although should work) according to their website. I decided to partition my Mac and run OSX Mojave on the partition which can run CCStudio9. Got that up and running, flashed the board and am now seeing the "CLOUGH42" boot up on the LED with the buttons etc doing as they are supposed to do.

I'm now stuck on the wiring for the stepper/encoder. I think I followed everything correctly and have just been double checking, but from watching the YouTube videos, I should be able to rotate the encoder and see the stepper rotate as well. This doesn't happen.

Can anyone confirm that the wires from the encoder are In the correct order (here shown attached to the TI board)?IMG_1880.jpg

And also, the black wire highlighted here I assume is a ground? I've not got that connected. Should I?

IMG_1882.jpg

@WobblyHand - higher up in the thread you mentioned that you were wiring one of these up yourself and were going to check where ALM and COM connect to. Did you get around to doing that? I connected them as you suggested, just seeing if you've any more info?

@WobblyHand - higher up in the thread you mentioned that you were wiring one of these up yourself and were going to check where ALM and COM connect to. Did you get around to doing that? I connected them as you suggested, just seeing if you've any more info?
I wired in the signals and brought the cabling to my controller, but haven't tried unraveling which is which yet. I will take a look at this within the next day or two. First thing I will try is COM to ground and pull up the ALM signal. Since I have a +3.3V system, I will use a 10K resistor to +3.3V to start. 10K ohms may not be the right value, but the value is high enough that it should be safe to try.

I wired in the signals and brought the cabling to my controller, but haven't tried unraveling which is which yet. I will take a look at this within the next day or two. First thing I will try is COM to ground and pull up the ALM signal. Since I have a +3.3V system, I will use a 10K resistor to +3.3V to start. 10K ohms may not be the right value, but the value is high enough that it should be safe to try.

Let me know what you find.

I’m well and truly out of ideas. I’ve been rechecking all of the wiring based on diagrams I can find, rechecked all of the soldering and still nothing. I’ve no idea what to try now.

A small amount of progress. I’ve now confirmed that that encoder is wired correctly as I can see RPM readout on the LEDs

8b36986080f5cd09008fa53076dbcd35.jpg

So the issue is the wiring for the stepper motor.

A small amount of progress. I’ve now confirmed that that encoder is wired correctly as I can see RPM readout on the LEDs

8b36986080f5cd09008fa53076dbcd35.jpg

So the issue is the wiring for the stepper motor.

I don't know if this is the case, but try switching the polarity for the ENA signal. By that I mean, if you are using logic 0 for turning on ENA, use logic 1 instead, or vice-versa. I find the documentation on the stepper motor controller is not clear. I had to flip the polarity to get my stepper to work, if I recall correctly. Do not change the wires! This is a software polarity change or there's a variable that controls the sense of the logic. Might work. Might not, but worth checking into.

Back