Shars Universal Cutter Grinder-Lost in Transit

Spoke to Fed Ex this morning. "Unfortunately it arrived too late for the transfer but it should be able to go the the local station tomorrow"
I've been told it was going to be delivered last Thursday, then Friday, then Monday, then Tuesday, then Wednesday now Thursday again.
GGGRRRRRRR- #@$%^&* Frosted billy goats-razzle frazzle-grumble

I guess you can look on the bright side as that they didn't deliver it to some random address across town. I had that happen to a Shars order once. Shars somehow tracked it down and got it delivered to me. Never could figure that one out.

Shars somehow tracked it down and got it delivered to me. Never could figure that one out.
I was very impressed with Shars customer service when I called last week.
I also have been very impressed with the products coming from them.
I know these Asian tools are usually made at the same plant but I haven't had the usual smelly oil and grinding grit in quite some time.
I think the products are improving. The 5C collet chuck I recently purchased is of very good quality IMHO.

I was very impressed with Shars customer service when I called last week.
I also have been very impressed with the products coming from them.
I know these Asian tools are usually made at the same plant but I haven't had the usual smelly oil and grinding grit in quite some time.
I think the products are improving. The 5C collet chuck I recently purchased is of very good quality IMHO.
I purchased an 8" scroll Chuck from them a few weeks ago. I'm totally happy with its performance and even basic machining but the inside grease was like a lapping compound in I must have lost a pint of blood to the burrs which all were like RC 50. Not two Billy Goats given when it came to deburring :)

Last edited:
I recently bought a milling machine vise from Shars:
It really looks and works well. Stout! Interestingly enough, this one, with ~9" capacity, was less than the similar ~6" capacity vises I'd seen elsewhere. Does stick out the front of the mill table a good bit further (~19" overall length), but not a problem. Arrived on time and in perfect condition.

Another example of good Asian product is the video, This Old Tony put out.
I remember Tony was impressed for the price point.

I am super happy with my Shars Chuck, it is repeatable and accurate and it cost about a thousand dollars Les than a buck . I purcased a "cheapy" for the rotary table, ponied up for a D1-6 back plate for an extra $90 and may be using it on the lathe as my primary. I wasn't knocking Shars. I get many things from them that I would not otherwise own.

I checked in to the FedEx tracking at 10:30 this morning. The status was it had been received at the local terminal with no ETA for delivery.
Five minutes later our parts manager asked, where do you want this machine from Shars tool? :) :) :) :)
I am very thankful it came strapped to a pallet with no exterior marks/damage at all.
Now, to take it apart to clean, oil and reassemble.
My initial impression is very positive. It's well oiled and does have some fine grinding dust in the oil. There is some sort of anti rust on the bright metal.
I'm happy.

Attachments

• grind 1.jpg
    grind 1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 25
  • grind 2.jpg
    grind 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 25
  • grind 3.jpg
    grind 3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 24
  • grind 4.jpg