What Did You Buy Today?

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
DON'T GO INTO THE CHARITY THRIFT STORE!
Walked in the front door and there on a lunch room sized table was grandpa's shop tools.
Looked like someone cleaned out his shop and took it to the store.
Found a live center. Talking with the young guy at the cashier's he mentioned that there was a lot of stuff like that earlier today, someone bought it all.
*UGH!* missed it by ->||<- that much.

A couple of 'Thorsens' and a couple of 'Macs', and a few Craftsman.
0310201711d__R.jpg
Center is going to need some attention, but for $3.99 I can suffer thru it. rotates smoothly though.
Imagine the impact to the budget if I'd gotten there earlier...
0310201711c__R.jpg
The upper wrench is a Craftsman, so worn you can barely read it.
the 2nd one is a 25/32" & 3/4" box...
0310201711b__R.jpg

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Reminds me of a Wagner Safety Planer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Not much for tools lately, been selling rather than buying which is not normal for me. Got me a bottle filled up from a B&M plumbing supply shop of some stinky dark sulfurized cutting oil.

20200310_160713.jpg

Tape dispenser like the ones we used at my old work for my fancy expensive polypropylene masking tape.
20200310_174113.jpg

Extra long solid carbide end mill to fix one of the slots on the screwless vise that I use on the bandsaw. That thing put up a small fight but I got it done with no issues.
20200310_172035.jpg 20200310_165137.jpg

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Not much for tools lately, been selling rather than buying which is not normal for me. Got me a bottle filled up from a B&M plumbing supply shop of some stinky dark sulfurized cutting oil.

View attachment 316336

Tape dispenser like the ones we used at my old work for my fancy expensive polypropylene masking tape.
View attachment 316337

Extra long solid carbide end mill to fix one of the slots on the screwless vise that I use on the bandsaw. That thing put up a small fight but I got it done with no issues.
View attachment 316338 View attachment 316339
Looks similar to what 'OutsideScrewball' had to do recently.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I like that tape dispenser, although I would use it for my 2" filament tape and that's because I have no idea how good polypropylene masking tape is. :tranquility: :)

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Looks similar to what 'OutsideScrewball' had to do recently.
How did I miss that! I'm subscribed to his channel too. Hope he's doing well, last I heard he was diagnosed with cancer & his son passed away.

Yup that's pretty much what I did except mine was not nearly as bad as his. On mine it was just the first slot (for jaws to be closed) which I rarely used & it was just one side. It still grabbed ok & it never bothered me for years, just came to mind the other day so thought I might as well fix it.

20200310_163219.jpg 20200310_165514.jpg 20200310_165442.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I like that tape dispenser, although I would use it for my 2" filament tape and that's because I have no idea how good polypropylene masking tape is. :tranquility: :)
Me neither, haha. It's supposed to give you really clean lines for painting but I've never used it for painting. The name is actually Fine Line, 3M 218. I've had a 3/4" roll of it in my tool box for yrs. Never occured to me what is was or where I got it from. I use it mainly for protecting the finish of parts when I need. I think it might work for masking when anodizing but haven't tried yet. I wanted a couple of wider sizes then looked it up. That stuff is expensive & I would never pay full price. Luckily I found some 3/4" & 1" rolls on ebay a few months ago. The 2" rolls I just got last week. Those cost $50 a roll & I found 5 rolls for $33 shipped on ebay.

The tape dispenser is nice & cheaper than others on Amazon. Made in Taiwan. Again, we used the same exact brand at my old work but in 2" wide. I used them at work for kapton tape & 3M adhesive transfer tape. The blade is really sharp. The yellow thing flips down which is a cover to protect the blade (or rather you from the blade). I got the 3" wide one with suction cup base & I'm thinking of picking up another one in 2" wide.

Yeah I know, just a tape dispenser that I blabbed too much about but I really like these. :big grin:

20200310_173655.jpg

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
DON'T GO INTO THE CHARITY THRIFT STORE!
Walked in the front door and there on a lunch room sized table was grandpa's shop tools.
Looked like someone cleaned out his shop and took it to the store.
Found a live center. Talking with the young guy at the cashier's he mentioned that there was a lot of stuff like that earlier today, someone bought it all.
*UGH!* missed it by ->||<- that much.
And this was your grandpa ? Why didn't it go thru you first ? :confused:

OT here , but I just realized where you're located . We were in your neighborhood ( Knoxville , Maryville , Coal Creek , Oak ? ) years ago for a huge baseball tournament . Battle of the South . We drove home and had to drive back down to Nashville for a World Series tournament the following week . Love Tenn especially Knoxville . One of my friends is the Bluegrass HOF CEO in Nashville also . :)

Weldo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Saw this on eBay today! I’ve never seen a fly cutter like this before. It looks to me like the insert is backwards, but round inserts would give a pretty good surface finish wouldn’t they?

View attachment 316327
I ended up buyin this thing! Offered the seller $18 and they accepted. I don’t even have a mill! For some reason I couldn’t pass this thing up.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bought a new Ingersol Rand compressor. "Proudly assembled in the good old USA". Electric motor - made in Mexico, the pump is made in India.
Oh well, it will do the job. I hope.
In the operating instructions, it says to verify/match the voltage from the "starter/contactor". I wasn't planning on adding a starter.
I just found in the manual, "if the motor installed on your compressor has a motor reset button, it does not require a magnetic starter."
Do I need to? IMG_4428.jpg IMG_4429.jpg IMG_4430.jpg

Last edited:

pontiac428

Mo-Max
So "assembled in USA" means you can put a flag sticker on it with USA in bold letters. The motor is made by US Motors, which is made in Mexico. The Punjab Express compressor head comes from the green sand foundries of India, where old enough for school means old enough to work. Then they slap a brand logo on it that I used to trust. All that makes my head hurt. I need a new compressor, maybe I'd better budget $4000 for something equitable to yours (that surely will work just fine) made in the lower 48, 'cause that's how it seems to be these days.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I got a deal, $698 plus tax. They are all over the place. $699 to $1,070 for the same model #. Some places offer free shipping, others charge extra.

jcp

Saw this on eBay today! I’ve never seen a fly cutter like this before. It looks to me like the insert is backwards, but round inserts would give a pretty good surface finish wouldn’t they?

View attachment 316327
We used one of these in the shop I worked at. Takes quite a bit of power to make a decent cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldo

We used one of these in the shop I worked at. Takes quite a bit of power to make a decent cut.
Yea I thought that might be the case because of the round insert. Maybe you'll see it in the "for sale" section of the forum in a few days...! :dunno:

Weldo

On the air compressor topic, These have been catching my eye lately.

California Air Tools

I like the fact that they are less noisy than the typical compressor. Might be worth a look? Supposedly made in California.

Superburban

I bought a new Ingersol Rand compressor. "Proudly assembled in the good old USA". Electric motor - made in Mexico, the pump is made in India.
Oh well, it will do the job. I hope.
In the operating instructions, it says to verify/match the voltage from the "starter/contactor". I wasn't planning on adding a starter.
I just found in the manual, "if the motor installed on your compressor has a motor reset button, it does not require a magnetic starter."

Do I need to?
No, just wire into the switch in the last pic, check the compressor for oil, and fire it up.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Weldo -

I've had a California Air Tools 8010A (or similar) compressor for several years now. LOVE IT!! When I moved a couple years ago, the shop behind the house had air lines pre-plumbed from a large 230V compressor in a back room. I've used the central system a couple times, but mostly just need to run a single air stapler, mini sand blaster, or suchlike. For things like that, I just wheel over my California. It is nice and quiet.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
So "assembled in USA" means you can put a flag sticker on it with USA in bold letters. The motor is made by US Motors, which is made in Mexico. The Punjab Express compressor head comes from the green sand foundries of India, where old enough for school means old enough to work. Then they slap a brand logo on it that I used to trust. All that makes my head hurt. I need a new compressor, maybe I'd better budget $4000 for something equitable to yours (that surely will work just fine) made in the lower 48, 'cause that's how it seems to be these days.
Yup, that's pretty much how it is these days unfortunately. Look at Dewalt & the other lines from SB&D.

So what does that mean for my HF compressor? I bought my 60 gal HF compressor used from a shop that burned down that worked on Ducatis. It was the only thing that survived cause it was outside in a shed, was in great condition. Paid $255 for it & sold my 20 gal Craftsman/DeVilbiss for $200.

Anyway, I found out later this older HF compressor is the same unit as a BelAire made by ABAC. Manchester USA certified tank. AO Smith motor made in USA. Condor USA pressure switch. Pump is IMC made in Italy. Many people considered this made in the USA but HF never marketed it that way. Even the tech support number on it is for some air compressor company in the US & not HF, ABAC I assume.

I needed more air at the time. Plan was to just use this HF unit for a few yrs until it died cause it was only a $55 upgrade for me then get something proper. Well I've had it for 9 yrs now & it has never gave me a problem, doesn't even show signs of rusty water yet. That totally surprises me even til this day. I've even got a 17 gal tank piggy backed to it.

francist

Active User
NOS 1972 Patience and Nicholson tap and die set.
Nice. Never seen a fire engine red tap and die set before! I have a fairly large T-handle tap wrench made by P&N — I think they’re decent quality tools.

-frank

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock