What Did You Buy Today?

Today I finally ordered new springs and hardware for the trailer I purchased 16 years ago. Over the years it's worn out a couple sets of tires. The first set were junk to start with, so I didn't feel that bad about replacing them. The second set lasted several years, but the trailer didn't travel that many miles.

Last year when it came time to replace the tires, I started looking at the axle alignment. That's when I found the springs on the left side were mounted 1" ahead of those on the right. The previous owner had tried to compensate for the error by moving the right sides off the locating pins on the springs and blocking them to be somewhat even to those on the left. The tires were still wearing but not nearly as bad as they would have if left on the locating pins. I temporarily realigned them to be closer to parallel, but knew there wouldn't be time to replace the springs, brackets, and hardware before winter set in.

We brought the trailer home a few weeks ago to make more room to repair the garage at the family cottage. The garage is now complete so it's time to turn the attention to repairing the trailer. The springs and hardware should arrive within a week. I'll use it as it is for a few days to haul leaves to the recycle center, but then it's time to flip it over and change everything out. Along with changing out the springs I'll also have to remove and reposition the fenders. They were replaced a few years ago using the original mounting brackets. When we reposition the axles the wheel on the right front will be dangerously close the fender. With any kind of a load in the trailer I'm afraid there will be contact.

Here's the spring kit I'll be installing:

Here are some pictures of the trailer before we brought it home. It has 2 Dexter 5,200 lb. axles with electric brakes. It was originally built by a construction company to haul an 8,000 lb. Bobcat.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 20
I still haven’t figured out how they do it: got my second order from Columbia Forest via Home Depot today - two precision cut (free cuts) pieces of 3/4” Red Oak veneer plywood delivered to my door (also free) with the offcuts all for $32 including tax.

View attachment 461570

Beats sorting through 2’ x 4’ sheets for undamaged ones and then having someone who doesn’t know how to use a saw (vertical panel saw, with limited capabilities and in desperate need of maintenance) try get get within 1/8” of the size you need & muck things up.
Order through HD website?

Back