What Did You Buy Today?

15 years ago, Masterforce were good bang for the buck. Now it's US general. Got a good deal on a bunch of them when they were clearing out the series 2, and bringing in the series 3 above. You'd think 6 large boxes would be enough. Wishing I had bought one or two more still...

I watched the built in PM728 quill DRO upgrade and correction posted by Blondie Hacks to address the quill bracket's tendency to deflect and not return to the original setting, skewing values. I didn't place any priority on it because I hadn't notice a problem with it until I tried to make some self tramming feet for my vise. I had already intended to install a linear scale for the quill, already having one for the head and searched Aliexpress and found a slim design 5um 4" scale for $47+tax shipped, which I just finished installing and it works great. I also upgraded the bracket to an aluminum piece that attaches to both the add on and the built in DRO that has poor visibility and annoying auto shutoff (although it keeps up with position changes even when it's off). Three problems solved, I now have a back lit position, no auto shutoff and no more deflection.

I also found an auto shielding welding helmet in the process. I don't do much of that at the moment for projects, but at $15+tax shipped vs. Harbor Freight's $40+tax over the counter and currently still having my 1996 old school helmet, I figured why not, although I didn't take any chances and tested the helmet by recording from behind the lens while looking through my old helmet. It works great, the visibility before and during welding is excellent, nice to be able to see the exact spot I'm aiming the gun at before it lights off. Not recommending it, just showing it's out there for those whose needs it suits.

DSC08864.JPG

DSC08857.JPG

Last edited:
Just picked up a Gerstner O42 with a 1950 Machinery Handbook in the drawer, Starrett adjustable parallel set and an old style Lufkin 0-3” depth mic with a 0-1” point.
All for $150. Very stoked on the box. It will clean up nicely
47b6c6c2a8ade1ed8cab10d170af56c9.jpg

c1ba260a19b4a49cea9cf4d410707fbf.jpg

b341eb0d4738b11201e1e2991c675d6f.jpg

d88c25316681f04daf127ef207abc5d9.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

that's nice, the wide foot on the lufkin, and full set of adj parallels.
that Gerstner will clean up well if you want. Try some simple green, if that doesn't work, some purple cleaner.
Mineral spirits may work as well, but I don't know what they used for a finish back then.
Don't be afraid to use a white scotch brite with the cleaners to scrub it. It is gentle.

that's nice, the wide foot on the lufkin, and full set of adj parallels.
that Gerstner will clean up well if you want. Try some simple green, if that doesn't work, some purple cleaner.
Mineral spirits may work as well, but I don't know what they used for a finish back then.
Don't be afraid to use a white scotch brite with the cleaners to scrub it. It is gentle.

Yes I plan on giving a it a scrub. Thanks for the white scotchbrite. I saw on a Gerstner video they use 0000 steel wool. Have plenty of simple green.

I really like my wide base Lufkin I have at work. This one will be for home shop. Same as the adjustable parallels.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Yes I plan on giving a it a scrub. Thanks for the white scotchbrite. I saw on a Gerstner video they use 0000 steel wool. Have plenty of simple green.

I really like my wide base Lufkin I have at work. This one will be for home shop. Same as the adjustable parallels.

Cutting oil is my blood.
if you use steel wool you shouldn't use a water base cleaner. It will rust the steel wool fibers that hang around. That's why I am suggesting the white scotch brite. No chance of forming a rust coating later. I love using steel wool, but only with oil based or solvents.

I still have sikkens M600 a paint prep solvent. A great cleaner, and lubricant for wet sanding. I probably have 4 oz left.. gonna miss it... :cry:

Back