What Did You Buy Today?

A Mutoh with external bands, an awesome drafting machine and you got scales and a scale key as well...... I am Jelly, I spent far more for my Mutoh and the K&E I had...
It is in great condition. But it is a Vemco. Was not aware of Mutoh brand. I had to look them up. Nice!

IMG_4348.jpeg
IMG_4347.jpeg
Funny you mentioned the key… I had no idea… here I was trying to remove the scales and the seller grabs the key from tha bag of things he gave me, and shows me how to use it…

Amazon do that as a company because they have Zero scruples and have a "our way or the highway" attitude. That has been proven multiple times over.

I refuse to buy anything from their platform or any of the services they offer or have anything to do with them. Ever.

Same thing could be said about Walmart and Sam Walton. He did pretty much similar things with his vendors in the early years of building his business up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing could be said about Walmart and Sam Walton. He did pretty much similar things with his vendors in the early years of building his business up.

I hate walmart! But we don't have anything else here.

Brother in-law worked for a very large building materials supplier (Big stores, everywhere). Took a job in purchasing in corporate. He was instructed to yell, scream, and swear at his suppliers, threaten them with pulling product until they lowered their price. That didn't last long, couldn't stand treating people like that. He moved back to a store level department manager position. Much better. The occasional yelling is from upset customers, which he has no trouble working with.

Unless I'm saving thousands on a project, or can't get the materials locally, I refuse to work with the big guys. I'll pay almost double for small items just to do business with our local building supplier. That guy gave me a contractor account, with discount, and full line of credit when I was building my garage. I didn't even sign anything, he just wanted my address and phone number. That's how you make money, by creating loyal customers!

It is in great condition. But it is a Vemco. Was not aware of Mutoh brand. I had to look them up. Nice!

View attachment 477023
View attachment 477025
Funny you mentioned the key… I had no idea… here I was trying to remove the scales and the seller grabs the key from tha bag of things he gave me, and shows me how to use it…
Vemco and Mutoh were very similar, both were good machines. I liked them because the bands were external which made them easy to tighten and work with. the K&E I had, had the 2 tubes which the bands ran through which made it more difficult to do maintenance on but it was considered the best....

Your machine is a beauty...

Stocked up today on 1215. Two 12' x 1.25" solid round. Certainly cheaper by the foot than buying it online, about $9/foot out the door. My stock of hot rolled and 1018 is pretty extensive as it can be used for both welding and machine, but my stock of other material has been non-existent. 1215 is certainly a nice material to machine.

Picked up a 2 ton arbor press on Craigslist for $25. The gentleman was 93 and just wanted to clean out. He knew he listed it low.
He had a bunch of Stanley woodworking planes, and scrapers, but he wanted book value, and I just couldn't. Not for the shape they were in.

He built some beautiful clocks. He had a small watchmakers arbor press, about 6 inches tall, that weighed a ton for it's size. PXL_20240205_221810412.jpgPXL_20240205_222048206.jpg

Stocked up today on 1215. Two 12' x 1.25" solid round. Certainly cheaper by the foot than buying it online, about $9/foot out the door. My stock of hot rolled and 1018 is pretty extensive as it can be used for both welding and machine, but my stock of other material has been non-existent. 1215 is certainly a nice material to machine.
I don't use 1215 because it seems to rust when I look at it funny. Am I wrong on this?

I don't use 1215 because it seems to rust when I look at it funny. Am I wrong on this?
Don't look at it funny. It won't rust. :grin:
It rusts. A shot of fluid film will keep it at bay.
It's such a forgiving metal, it's great for screw making, nut making, and many other projects. Has pretty good strength.
It will make you look like a pro machinist

Another crazy time when I'm buying back what belonged to me in the first place . I lent a rotary table to my co-worker back in 2000 or so , and am now buying his tools back from his surviving wife . I didn't see it on the walk thru but I know it's there . Home once again after 22 years maybe if I find it . It was a Walters H or V table .

Back