What Did You Buy Today?

Few eBay and local shop pick ups. First was a Palmgren 4" vise. My drill press is up to at least 6 vises now, but for $10 at the Goodwill store I couldn't pass it up.

20210514_193337.jpg

I sold my Craftsman 12" wood-cutting bandsaw to a buddy at work which included a large selection of blades. I've been picking up bulk blade stock to replace the various widths/tpi for my DoAll. This is the last (for now . . .) coil needed to cover what I had for the wood saw. This was most of a 100' coil of 1/8" x 18 blade stock.
20210520_174007.jpg

Some new (4) and used Nicholson files off eBay.
20210529_103137.jpg

Digital tachometer for a speed indicator for my DoAll saw
20210612_111544.jpg

Trying out some 1/4" 4-flute carbide endmills with 0.020" radii on the corners. These are supposed to wear better, time will tell as I have no experience using this style.
20210612_111616.jpg
20210612_111648.jpg

Probably a frivolous purchase, but grabbed a LH drill chuck for my Drill Doctor 750X. I have a 1/16" - 1/2" set of LH drills that are pretty dusty, but now I can give my aging eyes a break.
20210619_160343.jpg

These are supposed to wear better, time will tell as I have no experience using this style.
I think you will find they last quite a bit longer. I’ve taken to grinding a small chamfer on the tips of HSS end mills after the initial sharpness has faded. Not only does it give a second kick to the dying cutter, but they seem to go on forever with the chamfer on the corners.

edit: having written that I’m recalling your drawers and drawers full of cutters so prolonging the life of one seems almost ludicrous ;)

Yesterday I went to an estate auction where sat a forlorn looking Southbend heavy 10 on a stand. Not a single handwheel wasn't stuck, no lever moved either. The sliding gear wouldn't slide, it had no belts, no chuck, the motor cap was hanging, and the apron had been brazed. In short, I knew I wasn't ready to give the next two years of Sundays to this machine. So we left, and I spent the better part of the morning reassuring myself that I made the right decision. I decided to figure out why I was even looking for another lathe. I decided it was because mine is a change gear, and I want a threading gearbox. So I bought that instead. Wish me luck!

Father's Day! (whoopie...)

Honey got me some shop organizers at the local discount outlet.
------
Check out the expiration date.
She's leaving it up to me clean them out. :grin:
IMG_MW_Rc.jpg

She also scored full length black leather maxi-skirt at an estate sale. The leather is heavy like a set of motorcycle chaps, but rough.
I've asked her to be on the lookout for old leather belts to use in the shop for polishing, piece part holding in a vise, stropping, etc.
She certainly filled that request. I might just line the drawers in my 'resto' Kennedy with it.

I love mine.
I Keep hearing good things about that hood.I have the Miller digital elite, any idea if the Lincoln provides an advantage with regard to clarity or the ability to see better?
I have the mag. cheaters and still struggle.

I think you will find they last quite a bit longer. I’ve taken to grinding a small chamfer on the tips of HSS end mills after the initial sharpness has faded. Not only does it give a second kick to the dying cutter, but they seem to go on forever with the chamfer on the corners.

edit: having written that I’m recalling your drawers and drawers full of cutters so prolonging the life of one seems almost ludicrous ;)
Hi Frank,

Is this what you're referring to? ;) This is most of my end mills. I have a coffee can of dull ones setting at my Milwaukee surface grinder with "good intentions" of sharpening them at some point. Also have a decent selection of radius and conical ones I didn't show. I have one of those $45 5-C collet grinding fixtures for sharpening the ends. Probably be a retirement project, but will watch a couple YouTube videos and see if I can extend their life some.

Bruce

1/8" - 3/8" new end mill storage
20210620_141703.jpg

3/8" - 3/4" new end mill storage
20210620_141730.jpg

3/4" - 1" new end mill storage. Also extra Niagra's at the back that won't fit in the drawers above. Some other miscellanea too.
20210620_141744.jpg

HSS end mills that have been used. All of the ones above are new. Once they've cut metal, I move them to this drawer. Once these dull, they head to the coffee can at the surface grinder.
20210620_141820.jpg

Used carbide end mills (and other miscellanea). Same story as above, as soon as they're used, they go in this drawer.
20210620_141849.jpg

Just got word this morning that my offer on a Niles engine lathe has been excepted. It appears to be 1920's vintage, around 24" swing, 10' between centers, 16' overall length, guessing 10k lbs or better. Ways seem to be in exeptional condition for it's age. Has a ton of accessories, and tooling with it. Will be moving it over the next few weeks. Pics to follow. Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
Back