What Did You Buy Today?

Folks... what would you recommend I get first.. A rotating table? or dividing head? I will eventually want to get both, but not sure which one I would use more...

Folks... what would you recommend I get first.. A rotating table? or dividing head? I will eventually want to get both, but not sure which one I would use more...
Same dilemma here. I’m thinking rotary table first for milling radius, and dividing head later if I ever need to make gears, etc.

wait until you know what you want to do. I've had a few projects that I needed a rotating table, I don't even have a swivel for my vise. So when doing angles I have had to move my vise and clamp it down. I also used my pallet and reclamped the piece.
I was ok with that. When needing to round edges, I would put a pin in a piece of metal and hold it in the vise, then rotate the part, sometimes adding a handle... so when this came up I jumped. 6" tables are rare around here. plenty of larger units.. 10" and larger are more plentiful.
there's 2 10" and an 18" right now w/in an hour drive.
the larger ones take a long time to go.

As far as your needs, if you are doing gears, simple gears can be done on a rotary table using dividing plates and a TS..
most of us don't need a dividing head. If you do, you'll know it.

A rotary table does more than an indexing head.

I have one of those 3" Wilton bullet vises that I bought for $50 a few years ago and love it to bits. It's super sturdy
Wanted a Wilton Bullet bad…but the SE USA is bad for machine tool availability, and it’s hard to find deals on those. Went forged instead.

Just to finish up on my RT from above, it cleaned up ok. I keep putting oil on the oil cup, but so far nothing shows on the sight glass. The picture looks like something is there, but it's the camera angle.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't buy all of this today, but now that I have a camera that's not a pain to use and a clean work bench, here's what I bought over the past few months:

First up, a whole BOATLOAD of drills. Probably too many, honestly. My favorite is the 22" long 1/2" diameter taper shank drill. Also included are some taps (including pulley taps, always wanted some of those!), carbide tipped taper shank reamers, and extra-long #2 carbide center drills.
PXL_20211029_222226599~2.jpg
Here's that hilariously long drill. It's almost too big to be useful in my machine, but I just wanted it for the "cool" factor.
PXL_20211029_222248140.jpg
I'm really excited to use this geometric die head. I've been contemplating making some custom aquarium hardware, and I've heard these die heads are great for cutting NPT. Also pictured is a 5/8" solid carbide indexable boring bar, some really massive spade drills that I'm questioning the utility of, and a whole boatload of abrasive stones.
PXL_20211029_224005830~2.jpg
Some tuning fork clamps, parallels, a Bridgeport-brand R8 endmill holder, scales, an indexable end mill (always wanted one with round inserts), and some surface gages that need a bit of love.
PXL_20211029_223045033~2.jpg
I wasn't super happy with my 4" rotary table from Little Machine Shop, so I decided to upgrade. Clickspring has said he really liked his Vertex rotary table, so I went for one of those. Seems pretty well built!
PXL_20211029_224418365~2.jpg
A Starrett #359 bevel protractor and a Starrett #446 1-2" depth mic. They both need some TLC, but they seem to be in good working order!
PXL_20211029_233616860~2.jpg
One of those old-timey Hand Tool Rescue wrenches. Probably not something I'll use too terribly much, but it looks cool!
PXL_20211029_224107491.jpg
Finally, a full set of drills from Chicago Latrobe. I have an import-quality set that's been driving me nuts. The number drills were the worst, drilling far oversize and leaving a terrible surface finish. These have performed beautifully and should last me a long, long time.
PXL_20211029_224607008.jpg

So that's basically everything. Sorry for the massive wall of pictures, I cropped a lot of them down substantially so that should hopefully help with the file sizes.

Attachments

• PXL_20211029_224033293~2.jpg
    PXL_20211029_224033293~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Ok, I'm DONE buying machines... for a few days...

Thursday I drove up to Tuckahoe and picked up the old Hendey lathe that @DiscoDan has had for sale for a while...

20211030_073136.jpg

It came with 3 boxes of parts and tooling, a 12" 4 jaw chuck, dog drive plate, and 2 steady rests.

20211030_074717.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet DiscoDan, but on the way up, I met up with @will.mcray and delivered a couple of K&T arbor supports that he had been looking for.

I'm tired of driving...

-Bear

Where did you find room for this one Bear?!? You seemed to be pretty full when I came by for that surface plate!

Ok, I'm DONE buying machines... for a few days...

Thursday I drove up to Tuckahoe and picked up the old Hendey lathe that @DiscoDan has had for sale for a while...

View attachment 383631

It came with 3 boxes of parts and tooling, a 12" 4 jaw chuck, dog drive plate, and 2 steady rests.

View attachment 383632

Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet DiscoDan, but on the way up, I met up with @will.mcray and delivered a couple of K&T arbor supports that he had been looking for.

I'm tired of driving...

-Bear

Back