What Did You Buy Today?

If they're for the years you think, they might be worth a decent penny in the condition they're in.
They are definitely for a early 265 small block. I just checked and in 1960 they moved the bolt holes to be in line with each other. They call them "staggered bolts". Repops go for $550 Someone has drilled them to fit the later heads, and yes hopefully someone that wants them can fix the holes.

I really wasn't looking to make any $$$ on them, just wanted to save them from being a planter box. I put them in tri-5.com for $25 plus shipping.

The jack will work fine for an auto trans. I've used the exact same one a number for times for automatic trannys. For what I paid I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Got this in the mail today.
All the parts to make a 5 hp rotary phase converter for my 86 yo best pal Kenny.
I have a spare drill press I'm going to loan him - for the duration.
I had the motor for the idler and will buy an enclosure on Monday.

Attachments

• 2023-06-30_08_16_51.jpg
    2023-06-30_08_16_51.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 17
That Millermatic 252 on the auction went for $2500, plus 13% auction fee, plus 10% Sales Tax. It seemed a bit high to me. It gained the last $1500 in the last 15 minutes of the auction.

Inspection appeared to show some hard use with little maintenance.

Maybe next time.
Doesn't surprise me. From what I've seen the last year or so they are regularly in that range. I guess with your sales tax that's pushing a new unit into the $4700-4800 range so people are looking to save $1500-1800 and hope they get a decent unit.

I just finished going through the first 251 I brought home....cleaned inside/out, aligned the drive rolls, added a new torch, new work cable and clamp, new flow meter and hose, fresh 44lb spool of .035" wire, and tested it to include running a spool gun. The outside paint shows some scratches and normal shop wear, but the inside is still clean...it's not minty, but not trashed.

IMG_4023.JPGIMG_4025.JPG

Doesn't surprise me. From what I've seen the last year or so they are regularly in that range. I guess with your sales tax that's pushing a new unit into the $4700-4800 range so people are looking to save $1500-1800 and hope they get a decent unit.

I just finished going through the first 251 I brought home....cleaned inside/out, aligned the drive rolls, added a new torch, new work cable and clamp, new flow meter and hose, fresh 44lb spool of .035" wire, and tested it to include running a spool gun. The outside paint shows some scratches and normal shop wear, but the inside is still clean...it's not minty, but not trashed.

View attachment 452693View attachment 452694
Nice looking unit. I wouldn't mind finding a 251.

The 252 that I was bidding on had the expendables compartment in the front. The one reason why I wanted the 252 was because it can have a MIG torch set up and an Al Spool gun set up along with two gases at one time. It will auto switch depending on which gun the trigger is pulled first. Only bad thing is that if you turn the machine on and bump the wrong trigger, you have to turn it off and back on to reset the system.

Will keep my eye peeled for either. Probably won't use it very much, which makes spending too much for a unit seem silly. Although when I do MIG, having the duty cycle of a Millermatic is sure appealing over the small units with 20% or so.

Maybe I will find one. Got my fingers crossed.

I took my wife junking at some antique stores this week... I came home with a few interesting things...

Two Plews oil cans...

20230701_113456.jpg

A K&E die grinder that looks unused, and a new Husky screwdriver...

20230701_113540.jpg

A Columbian woodworking vise, needs some work, but has no breaks or repairs...

20230701_115018.jpg

And a nice Interapid 312-B indicator...

20230701_114129.jpg

-Bear

Well, I did it. Got the Samson baby knee mill to compliment my Samson 12 x 36 lathe.

57BF8858-20EC-4967-8F36-A8AC3699DC15_1_105_c.jpeg
AC5C15B6-E70B-4C42-A7F7-1FCBDD73C2FD_1_105_c.jpeg

697688AE-1F00-42B2-A532-7373A0F770C9_1_105_c.jpeg

F8FB542A-BB35-4C40-B0FE-5AA91488F692_1_105_c.jpeg

23BF76CA-CD1A-43D3-B77E-9F64669D837A_1_105_c.jpeg

Drop deck trailer and palate jacks for the win!!!!

Kinda fun getting it out a 32" door at the sellers place but renting a bigger engine hoist and borrowing a small palate jack from work, along with help from the seller and my buddy Josh from work got it done. Everything feels tight and it ran smooth at the sellers shop so I can probably just put it to work. Of course I won't do that, will look into changing the belt and making sure all the lube points are flowing from the one shot but this one kinda feels like my "forever" machine. As you can see I couldn't fit anything bigger in my space, and with the versatility this guy offers I doubt I'll be changing it up any time soon.

Will start another thread when I get into it, but for now I'm a happy buyer at $1600....

John

Of course I won't do that, will look into changing the belt and making sure all the lube points are flowing from the one shot but this one kinda feels like my "forever" machine
That's what I say every time I buy something . Guess you know how that ends up . :grin: That's a good looking mill you got though . :encourage:

That's what I say every time I buy something . Guess you know how that ends up . :grin: That's a good looking mill you got though . :encourage:
Wife won't let me get as many machines as you've got. Gonna be liquidating the Michigan shop soon so my little 1 car garage is it for the foreseeable future....

John

Back