What Did You Buy Today?

I've got a friend about 2 hours away who saw the listing on Craigslist and called me right away to see if I'd be interested (too far from him). Heck yes, I was interested. I need more friends like him!

I called the guy and met him in a parking lot for the exchange immediately. Couldn't believe it when I saw it. Literally like new.

I think it was used in (hopefully not stolen from!) some sort of electronics shop: one of the drawers had three of these relay contact burnishers in it (it was pristine otherwise):

IMG_1344.jpg

I've kept them but I haven't figured out a use for 'em yet.

You think I suck. I'm still trying to imagine @ivel03's uncle selling a Kennedy for $25, with free tooling!

I want to install a DRO on the G0709 lathe... and update the setup on the Wells-Index milling machine.

The milling machine has a very old 2-axis setup with no extra functionality outside of just the counter. After trying to decide between TPACTools DRO kits; updating counter with Mitutoyo KA-200 and adding an additional scale for the Z-axis or; Yuriy's TouchDRO, decided to go with Yuriy's TouchDRO.

Might as well go with the same for the lathe.

So ordered the following:

2 - DRO Adapter for Glass and Magnetic Scales V2
2 - Of the recommended tablets

As to scales, went with Ditron for both. I believe physical size is around 5" more than travel length listed... except for the slim one, I believe that one is 4" longer than listed travel.

For the lathe (travel length) :
1 - 8" Ditron slim linear glass optical scale (X-axis)
1 - 38" Ditron linear glass optical scale (Z-axis)

For the milling machine (travel length) :
1 - 12" Ditron linear glass optical scale (Y-axis)
1 - 16" Ditron linear glass optical scale (Z-axis)
1 - 38" Ditron linear glass optical scale (X-axis)

I sure hope all that works... Will figure out brackets and whatnot when everything arrives, and I start working on installing it...

View attachment 455651
3D printer, just unboxed. Be a couple days before I get a chance to dive in. Probably need to find/make a cloth cover for when not in use.
Cool!!! That is the one that Clough42 recently made an updated review video on. I was tempted to update my old (small) QIDI 3D printer after watching his video. But I will wait until the shop is done.

On other news... I had this air cylinder that my brother gave me...

IMG_8812.jpg

and I thought about making a aluminum can crusher. Because, you know, I want to start melting stuff, lol.

That is, until I saw that Amazon has the complete assembly anywhere from 49- 69.99... the heck with making my own. Ordered one... https://a.co/d/fCxBHnH

Last edited:
So I won an auction of endmills from a shop closing down in South Carolina. They were bulk, not stored properly, and filthy, some rusted, etc. I am now in process of soaking them in my parts washer, rinsing, soaking in evaporust, rinsing, and drying. Here is a sample of some of the endmills. I will post some after pictures soon. I need to start working on my Quorn project again so I can bring these back to life. I will probably never need to buy a general use end mill again in my lifetime.

Endmills.jpg

"I thought about making a aluminum can crusher. Because, you know, I want to start melting stuff, lol."

Don't waste the effort on aluminum cans. They cast like crap. Try to find scrap that was originally cast- intake manifolds, hard drive housings, etc. Some wheels are cast but most are forged and therefore not ideal.

Back