What Did You Buy Today?

I was casually perusing CL as we tend to do... ;)

Saw this an hour away from me, at what I thought was a fair price so I had to go bring it home. Kalamazoo 610-W, a 6x10 bandsaw, and the W means it came with an optional coolant pump. From what I could find online Kalamazoo replaced this model in 1970 so it is at least 50 years old.

Looks pretty good for its age, and seems to be fully functional except for the coolant pump which I wasn't able to try. It was in a shop and they were only selling it because they bought a new cold saw and don't need this one anymore.

It doesn't take up a whole lot more room than my HF 4x6 but is much heavier with more features. Somebody added some "wings" to support the material being cut. Nice idea but it prevents cutting at an angle so that may need to change.

610KB1.jpg610KB2.jpg610KB3.jpg

Today i stopped by the tool/ flea market, i haven't been in three months, many because it was closed during the pandemic, and as it is hitting its second wave it will be closed again so this was my chance. As expected there was much less venders and i did not want to go in crowded places so i only bought few items. First i bought couple of round trailer reflectors, couple of packages of fuses, the new ultra small ones. Then i went nuts buying diamond cutting blades, started with buying a 3 piece 125mm set. Then bought two 230mm blades one new one old and las one i bought was this enormast 400mm blade. The smaller ones are getting used immediately the larger ones i plan to use in the small garage when making a car inspection pit at the end of the summer
IMG_20200614_120919.jpgIMG_20200614_120840.jpgIMG_20200614_120804.jpgIMG_20200614_120528.jpgIMG_20200614_120511.jpgIMG_20200614_120409.jpg

What did they use for coating?
I believe it was some sort of an epoxy/fiberglass wrap. Sorry I don't know the type or composition.
Something to keep them 'protected' while getting banged about.

I was casually perusing CL as we tend to do... ;)

Saw this an hour away from me, at what I thought was a fair price so I had to go bring it home. Kalamazoo 610-W, a 6x10 bandsaw, and the W means it came with an optional coolant pump. From what I could find online Kalamazoo replaced this model in 1970 so it is at least 50 years old.

Looks pretty good for its age, and seems to be fully functional except for the coolant pump which I wasn't able to try. It was in a shop and they were only selling it because they bought a new cold saw and don't need this one anymore.

It doesn't take up a whole lot more room than my HF 4x6 but is much heavier with more features. Somebody added some "wings" to support the material being cut. Nice idea but it prevents cutting at an angle so that may need to change.

View attachment 327847View attachment 327848View attachment 327849
I have that exact saw, well, a 610 without the pump. it is a great bandsaw, as you might have noticed, there's no plastic part on it anywhere, very solid saw, the only thing I need to replace on it is the guide brushes.
You did good, it'll last another 50 years.

I have that exact saw, well, a 610 without the pump. it is a great bandsaw, as you might have noticed, there's no plastic part on it anywhere, very solid saw, the only thing I need to replace on it is the guide brushes.
You did good, it'll last another 50 years.

I'm going to give it a good going over before really putting it to work, but I'm building a wheeled base for it, and since it was right there thought I'd let it help out. I cut a few pieces of angle iron with it. I have some minor issues to address but it still cut great. The coolant pump is a super simple arrangement, so if it doesn't work and I really feel the need for one it will be very easy to repair or replace.

I bought another Starrett 956 case. The first one that I bought, I figured I would take out the foam and use it for loose tools.

However, when I received the first case, I put all of my Imperial 0-6” Starrett micrometers & standards in there (I had to buy 3 standards to complete the set). The result was so amazing that now I am going to do the same for my 0-150mm (metric) Starrett micrometers (and I’m sure that I will have to buy a few more standards).

Lately it seems that I was put on this Earth to spend my money on Starrett products.

I am claiming this month's award for the heaviest auction haul that did not include any machines along with the 'Granite Stoopid' award.
Auction was in Alabama.
I had peddled some passed down antiques that I've had packed away for a long time - figured shop equipment would be of more use.
It was a two day webcast and on-line auction by Asset-Sales, and it went pretty decent. Good company to deal with.
I was after a surface plate so as to get to repairing the Birmingham cross-slide.
They aren't Grade 'A' but then neither am I. :grin:

(I've put all the pictures in the 'spoiler' below - I didn't want to clutter up the thread with a ton of picts...)
Start off with a pict of my poor ol' 2500 before heading out to get the booty.
Didn't want to haul the trailer for (4) hours, and the tires are ~10 years old. Should have changed the tires and taken it.
I may have mis-calculated the allowable payload.
0616200849a__R.jpg

These came up early. Got lucky.
Interestingly they are a shop engineered system. There are two nice sump pump in the buckets underneath and the gray box is a
solid state timer wired with GFCI outlets.
Also scored two 5-gal buckets of pellet media. Wish I could have loaded up more.
There was an employee of the defunct company present and he gave us a three ring binder with all the information on the setup, nice.
Lot#31_Tumblers__R.jpg.....IMG_20200618_205519333__R.jpg After clean up...

Next up were the large surface plates and they went for less than the prices I've seen the past several months.
Then came three lots (#36, #37, #38) of 18x24 plates, and this is where I messed up. (Note: don't answer your phone when bidding on-line...)
#36 and #37 were decent. #38 had (3) oddballs.
So the auctioneer changed up the way they normally 'group' lots. For these three it was bid on the group and then take your pick.
I won the bid, a window popped up for me to select and I only wanted #37, well the checkbox on #36 was already selected and I didn't de-select it.
(still on the phone trying to help a buddy with his computer woes...)
I won #36 and #37. #36 actually had (3) plates in the lot. You could barely see the third on the tall orange stand.
Note the gray drawers in the gray stand...
lot_#36_3-18x24__R.jpg....Lot_#37_2-Pink_18x24_-2__R.jpg

Having scored what I came for I sat back to track prices and watch.
And then #94 came up. Bidding stalled and I thought 'what the hell...' submitted a bid and next thing I know I won the bloody set.
(3) 4x24x36 on one heck of fabricated stand.
Lot_#94_3-24x36__R.jpg

The following day it was just a timed on-line auction.
I picked up two 'well loved' lots on the cheap.
Mitu 24" height gage, with Mitu .001 DI. Pretty well used, but I scored it for $40.
Lot#336_Height-Gage__R.jpg

Ever see a sorrier set of gage blocks? $40 also.
I have a partial set of Webbers that @Wdnich had passed on to me years ago, and I figure to fill it out.
Lot#414_Gage Blocks-pic__R.jpg
But the lot included a beat up cardboard box that wasn't shown in the picture and that I didn't go through until I got home.
And it had these in it.
0617201516__R.jpg...0617201517a__R.jpg

And the (4) gray drawer set mentioned above had some gems in it.
(3) of the drawers are mostly hardware and misc. but in the fourth was this puppy.
0617201355__R.jpg....0617201354a__R.jpg
A dis-assembled 3-jaw Zweifel Wetzikon(?) precision chuck w/ the 5C adapter. Hopefully I can re-assemble it.

=====================================================================
Loading up this past Tuesday.
The 'helper' crew that Asset-Sales had there was excellent. They had hired two former employees for the auction.
There were a lot of CNC machines and other heavy equipment in the facility and there were three rigging companies around.
One gave me a bid of $250.00 for loading and I don't think that included removing the plates from their stands as I wanted.
The site supervisor let the crew help me load up and there was a fork truck to use.
Saved my arse or else I'd still be down there loading up.

0616201536__R.jpg...0616201553__R.jpg...IMG_20200616_144217__R.jpg
Should have brought the trailer...
0616201626__R.jpg
0616201643__R.jpg...0620202101__R.jpg

This puppy almost got left behind.
The guys had gathered all the plates and brought them over to where we were loading up and had left it in the other building.
I did a walk through just before we left and saw it. Honey and I had to load it up and it is not light.
IMG_20200616_174937071__R.jpg
Leaving the facility. I do believe that 'Sylvia' is sitting a tad low. She had dropped 6" after load up.
IMG_20200616_182231977_HDR__R.jpg
=========================================
Unloading - finally, yesterday after spending a couple of days getting the skidsteer running.

0620201743d__R.jpg...0620201841__R.jpg...0620201843c__R.jpg
Site Supervisor:
He kept jumping in the bed every chance he got.
0620201923f__R.jpg
Helps to have a lovely operator at the controls... :cool 2:
0620201949a__R.jpg
He loves climbing into the back of the truck.
0620202049a__R.jpg
All we managed to unload yesterday. Still have the three Starrett pinks to do.
Guess what I'm doing for Father's Day?
0620202058a__R.jpg

Back