2020 POTD Thread Archive

On my way from work i stopped by few hardware stores. Bought me few garage supplies. 100pcs plastic push fasteners, couple of brass valve caps with valve core remover and a screwdriver set to fit the fasteners i also can use the bits on power tools.
IMG_20201224_173046.jpgIMG_20201224_173648.jpgIMG_20201224_173552.jpg

Made this for my oldest grandson for Christmas (He's 20). Took most of the last 3 weeks.
View attachment 348582
Really cool looking! Are they aluminum? How did you make the knights?

Edit: guess I should have read a few more posts.:oops:
How did you do the knights? The rest looks lathe-ready, with some differences in the kings and queens. I'd love to see a write up on that, or even plans.

joe

@francist
@DHarris
@mattthemuppet2

More than anything else, this lousy year, your homemade ornament and gifts have rekindled my Christmas spirit.

Great stuff.

I'm very glad. I might not have much to give by way of money, but I have plenty (?!) of time and lots of love :)

Now I need to take a pic of the crochet armadillo my daughter made me for Christmas!

Yes, I noticed that parts were lifting slightly when I tightened the vise down. I readjusted the movable jaw and the soft jaws. Then I started to load the next part. As I tightened the vise down I felt something let go, kind of like when a thread strips. That's when I noticed the crack.

I ordered a Kurt DX4 to replace it. I'm sure it will be much nicer than the CDCO vise.
Chris, I had two Asian 4” vises. They are okay but I coul always feel some creep. Kind of like the metal was stretching. Anyway I finally found a used 4” Kurt. It is such a superior vise. It is just solid to the point that I can feel the vise is locked and the work piece is locked. You’re going to love the Kurt.
=======

Beautiful work Brino. Those are very kool Gyros.

Today a few packages from china arrived, engine valve grinding handles arrived. And a few tire valve tools arrived, those wore few months late.
View attachment 348707View attachment 348708
Too funny. A few days ago, I received a package from China also. It was about 5 photo-electronic sensors. I’m telling you, it’s been so long since I ordered them on a whim that I truly forgot that brainchild idea I was planning for them. I’m guessing these were ordered right before the pandemic began. I do know a lot of Chinese packages got lost in the mess back then.... same time they stopped shipping those masks and medical PE.
Anyway, I threw them in the “electronics box”

More tooling for an upcoming project.
A depthing tool to check gear spacing / mesh.

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

Checked the test gears I made with the home made hob, as expected they bind up at the required spacing. To get the correct pin measurement I was toping the teeth.
A modified hob is next.

Greg

Back