2020 POTD Thread Archive

More tooling for an upcoming project.
A depthing tool to check gear spacing / mesh.

Checked the test gears I made with the home made hob, as expected they bind up at the required spacing. To get the correct pin measurement I was toping the teeth.
A modified hob is next.

Greg

In your earlier post, about the hob, I noticed those slots interrupting the OD of the gear(s) but I forgot to ask.
So now I'm asking. What is the purpose of those slots? Or were they previously in the stock you used for your test pieces?

By the way, nice tool. :clapping:

The gear was a test, found a suitable chuck of brass in the junk drawer. Noticed the holes but didn't expect them to be that deep. Still good enough to realize I need to make another hob.
With a suitable spacing they seam to roll nicely with minimal backlash. Just ordered a 10X loupe to get a beter look at how the tops roll in and out.
Thanks for checking up or quality controlling my work lol

Greg

Refurbished a hammer

9f0172a9a0d3bfe4ba57ef996bc7eb41.jpg
8649da5497a46ce9b846022b1c7a26ec.jpg
b87dc32e4ab8744057fb3795f716aa42.jpg
02df38f55fc02427883ae2721e4fe47c.jpg

How did you do the knights? The rest looks lathe-ready, with some differences in the kings and queens. I'd love to see a write up on that, or even plans.

joe
For the Knights I just stood the round blank on end in the Mill and cut 2 sides down to make a "flat" center section. Then just took it to the band saw and started cutting away material until I had something resembling a horse head - they all came out slightly different - - - - oh well. The rest are just simple turnings as I decided to do it much too close to Christmas to be really creative.

All done on a little Sherline lathe and mill.

Made this for my oldest grandson for Christmas (He's 20). Took most of the last 3 weeks.
View attachment 348582
That is spectacular work! It is amazing that you did that in only three weeks. Very impressive.

Can you give us frames of reference? Height/diameter/weight/material?

Regards,
Terry

You get those critters digging in your yard, they cease to be "cute" and become targets of opportunity.

I can see that, Texan version of groundhogs I guess :)

fixed up a couple of niggles with the Nutcrusher Mk1 and now it crushes walnuts like they're not even there. Blowing my own trumpet I know, but this is the best nut cracker I've ever used :)
IMG_0053.JPG

Back