Doesn't exist? -- 8 TPI threaded chuck to fit an 80mm HF faceplate (w/ picture)

That would be a fun project. The blank part looks kinda short. Not sure a ring, a tapered bushing and a nut would fit very comfortably. I'll look for a long blank.
The slug at the end is 1.5" diameter, perfect for making a 1" screw. Use a 1/4" flange, and have 1-1/4" long screw. Roughly 8 threads, which is twice as many threads as needed. The taper will seat roughly flush.

The slug at the end is 1.5" diameter, perfect for making a 1" screw. Use a 1/4" flange, and have 1-1/4" long screw. Roughly 8 threads, which is twice as many threads as needed. The taper will seat roughly flush.
Yes, I could do that. I might. But I was actually thinking that I would machine a ring mandrel directly into the blank, as @WobblyHand suggested.

But it is only 25mm in diameter. Besides, you don't need a nut! Just screw in until the flange hits the mandrel. That way the mandrel will be straight.
And 1.5 inches is over 37mm, so you have a little breathing room. Remember, you can always machine it off, but it's hard to put back!

You could also just put a 1"-8 thread on the end of a short rod, and stuff it in a 4 jaw chuck, or 3 jaw if a little run out is acceptable.

The project:

1643247995530.png

Is it OK that the cones will hide the edges of the ring? Should you consider an expanding mandrel type setup?

I’m curious , will there be any issues putting side load on a tang arbor in the lathe ? In case I ever need to do a similar job .

@Alcap Were it me I'd cut the tang off, drill and tap the end for 1/4-20 or maybe 3/8-16 (if there's sufficient material) so that a drawbar of threaded rod could be used.

Back