Greg's Logan 820 Restoration

Re: Greg's Logan 820 Restoration - Reassembly: progress and a problem

greg reassembles lathe.jpg

A week ago, the first part of the reassembly went smoothly. Installed the QCGB and lead screw, apron and saddle, and tool post. Roughly positioned the headstock in preparation for alignment. Then I wrestled the drive unit into place and pinned it to the headstock. The belt is not yet on, nor are the top and side covers. Nor is the gear train.

Similar to the alignment tests I did before the reassembly, I began using the "Rollie's Dad's Method" (RDM) using a guide rod (~3/8"diam) out of a printer, as is commonly suggested. Note: back in December, before the teardown, RDM told me the spindle axis was skewed 0.0037/foot rearward, and 0.0054/foot downward.

First I leveled the ways in both X and Y, then took the RDM measurements. There's significant horizontal play available in the headstock's position; a bit of trial and error postioning/tightening and I got to about 10 thous (0.0100/ft) before switching to check the vertical axis. The vertical seems to be 19.0 low (From here on, I'll omit the thousandths/ft in my numbers.) I spent the rest of the afternoon messing with shims, getting closer, but not close enough.

A bit more reading on RDM. It appears to be controversial, and is not the professional way. Once I get the machine powered up, I will cut a test rod, but for now, it seems adequate. Except that it does not account for any possible sag in the test rod.

So, yesterday, I switched from that printer shaft to a piece of 5/8" drill rod. It still showed that the axis was low. I added a bit more shim and saw -0.6 (low). Rechecking the horizontal: initially -2 (rear skew). I couldn't get this out by skewing the headstock any further. But it was very responsive to the adjustable levelling legs I had added. Raise the front right leg about half a turn put enough twist in the bed to end up with -0.3 horizontal and -0.2 vertical. Enough alignment for now, I plan to recheck once it's running. (And as you'll read below, I am going to have to move the headstock!)

Back to the reassembly, I reinstalled the Reverse Gear Assembly and the Change Gear Assembly, setting the gear lash with ordinary paper strips. But now I have a problem. I can't get the "Stop Bracket" (LA-510) to properly position. If I position it to allow the proper gear mesh, then I can't close the side cover. Here is a picture of my problem, and pictures from before the disassembly. I've had this bracket on and off before and I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Any of you Logan guys have the answer?
Bracket problem.jpeg
Here are the reference shots. In this case, they haven't helped! Now, the slot in the bracket doesn't go down far enough to let the bracket go nearly vertical to clear the hinge bracket.
Headstock left end, before.jpgHeadstock rear view, before.jpg
And another question for Team Logan: Is the left end of your headstock flush with the end of the bed, or not? Is it offset a bit? Which way and how much? Now that I have it bolted down and reasonably aligned but offset about 1/16" to the right, as a consequence I see my spindle gear doesn't fully engage the width of the drive gear. And belatedly, I look back in my disassembly notes from 25 March and see that before removal, it was offset to the left by 0.108. Maybe this is also the cause of my bracket problem? I'll play with it this afternoon.

Greg

greg reassembles lathe.jpg Bracket problem.jpeg Headstock left end, before.jpg Headstock rear view, before.jpg

Hmmm.

I wondered about the offset of the headstock as well. I have not gotten to the drive end of things yet, let alone any squaring, so I'll likely be in for all of that fiddling myself. that squaring process is a bit murky to me, I must admit. Your efforts will provide a good resource for everyone, as I have not really seen much talk of this aspect of a rebuild.

Re: Greg's Logan 820 Restoration - Reassembly/restoration completed and running again

In my last message, I wondered about the proper positioning of the headstock (h/s) in the left-right position. During my reassembly I had noted the h/s was "hanging off" the end of the bed by about .108. I had forgotten making this note in my logbook. I wish I had remembered it before I did the alignment. Now, I had to slide the h/s leftwards to properly align the gear train.

The covers are now all on and aligned. I still need some rubber bumpers at the front for the belt cover. I connected the drive belt and checked the belt tracking by hand, it looked okay.
Before putting oil into the spindle pulley oil hole, I wrapped some Teflon tape around the two setscrews in the middle pulley, to forestall the leaking that I mentioned at the start of this thread (just over a year ago. )
With everything oiled and greased, I fired it up. With no load, it sounded nice, maybe quieter than before? I checked the belt tracking in all three pulley positions, no problem. Backgear works, forward and reverse drives work, crossfeed, longitudinal feed, and halfnut feeds all work okay. (Needed to tight the pulley belt a bit more).

I still need to recheck/readjust the spindle alignment and the tailstock alignment, but the reassembly is done.
Remember, here is what I started with when I bought the lathe last spring...
Logan 820 comes home.jpg

lathe done front right.jpglathe done front left.jpglathe done covers open.jpg
Restoration is essentially complete, so Happy 70th Birthday to the lathe, and now it's time to get it dirty again! My thanks to all of you that followed my progress and gave me ideas and encouragement, in particular, to Redlineman, Chuck K, and stevecmo

---

I tried a quick test cut on a piece of pipe, confirming that it needs alignment. But then I made a starter shaft for motorized scooter engine. This was a piece of 5/16" drill rod, turned down for 6 x 1.0 metric threads at one end, and threaded for 8 x 1.25 on the other. I know there's a way to single point cut metric threads, I got the gears last year... but for this, I just used metric dies.
lathe back in service.jpg
Machining work done, now the shaft needs to be tested for fit in the engine, then hardened.

BTW, Remaining odds and ends on the lathe restoration
- find and fit the rubber bumpers
- figure out how to get that stop bracket into place
- finish the alignment

What's next? Besides actually using the lathe for various little projects, I'm searching for an appropriate big project. Maybe another engine, maybe a miniature firearm model - in particular, I''m thinking of the French 75mm field artillery such as was used by my grandfather, a lieutenant in the AEF whose gun battery fired the very first American Expeditionary Force shots of WW I.

And when I bought the Logan, it came with a rolling wooden case/workbench filled with various lathe accessories. Some items are obvious, others are somewhat of a mystery. I will figure out what I've got there and probably clean them up a bit. Some I will use. Some I will not need, and will sell them.

Greg

Logan 820 comes home.jpg lathe done front right.jpg lathe done covers open.jpg lathe done front left.jpg lathe back in service.jpg

Congrats on an excellent restoration! Make lots of chips and enjoy the heck out of it. Now we expect to see lots of turning projects!

:hugethumbzup:

Well Done, Greg!

And thanks. You can return the favor of encouragement by motivating me when I finally get back to my project. I've been so busy at the shop and family stuff is really at a peak right this moment, but that is all tailing off and I hope to get back to it as the weather turns. I've been having those inklings!

Please do continue your thread by posting your further efforts to tune the old beast. Toss in some projects you are using the lathe for as well. We all love to live from afar with others!

:applause:

Well done sir! :thumbsup:
As the the others have said, continue to post as you tune and as well as any projects you attempt. I hope to get my Logan to the place where you started... God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Greg, congratulations on the amazing restoration. I've been reading along ever since I joined the forum, and only just now realized where you live. I live in Lakeside, and am totally new to machining . I've bought a few things at the usual on-line stores, but would love to be able to walk in and see what I am looking for. I was hoping that you, (or any other SD county guys) could recommend any actual walk in stores that carry machinist tools or supplies. For instance, where did you get the 5/8" drill rod that you just used as a test bar? Looking forward to reading many more posts about your projects with your Logan 820, thanks JR49

Hi JR
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my epic tale. Perhaps we can meet sometime.

As to your question about local stores, here is an annotated list of my suppliers, or potential suppliers. Almost all are chains, so you probably have a local instance.
  • Home Depot - since it is just two blocks from home! hardware, metals, paint, tools
  • Lowe's - they used to have a much better set of special fasteners than HD, now they have cut back noticeably, but still have a better inventory
  • Escondido Lumber Company (despite the name, it's a True Value hardware store, and quite often has odd fasteners and specialty items not found at the above)
  • E & L Supply Company, Escondido - just fasteners, no minimum quantity required. This is the place that all the above stores suggest when they don't have the fastener
  • Harbor Freight - my wife says they are my favorite store
  • Escondido has at least 3 metal dealers with both new and scrap pieces, Duco Metal has a nicely organized yard of steel and aluminum remnants, available for browsing. None of these places have drill rod
  • Fastenal (San Marcos, Poway, and elsewhere) - this is my drill rod supplier. (BTW, correction to my thread, I was using 1/2" drill rod, not 5/8" as the test rod.
  • Kaman Industrial, Escondido - bearings and bushings
  • various auto parts stores - lubricants, tools, rags,
  • Rockler, on Clairemont Mesa - mainly woodworking, but I've gotten lathe centers and drill chucks there
  • Tool Mart, Escondido - need a single drill or tap? not a whole set, these guys have them
  • Marshal's Industrial Hardware, 8243 Production, in Miramar - I've never been there, but some guy said they are a very good resource.

Greg

Greg, congratulations on the amazing restoration. I've been reading along ever since I joined the forum, and only just now realized where you live. I live in Lakeside, and am totally new to machining . I've bought a few things at the usual on-line stores, but would love to be able to walk in and see what I am looking for. I was hoping that you, (or any other SD county guys) could recommend any actual walk in stores that carry machinist tools or supplies. For instance, where did you get the 5/8" drill rod that you just used as a test bar? Looking forward to reading many more posts about your projects with your Logan 820, thanks JR49

Outstanding work Greg! I know it was a long journey, but you'll get many hours of use and pleasure from your hard work.

There is a guy on eBay that sells the rubber bumpers. I've studied your pics and cannot see what's amiss with your bracket.

Again, nice job.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
For now, I just inprovised a pair of rubber bumpers, each is a rubber bevel washer sitting on piece of 1/4" rod, (turned down to fit washer hole) and slip fit into the headstock.
WIN_20140817_164729.jpg
Greg

Outstanding work Greg! I know it was a long journey, but you'll get many hours of use and pleasure from your hard work.

There is a guy on eBay that sells the rubber bumpers. I've studied your pics and cannot see what's amiss with your bracket.

Again, nice job.

Steve

WIN_20140817_164729.jpg

Back