Hendey Lathe Refurbish

This afternoon I spent some time working on the gearbox casting. After cleaning it up and drying it off, I started working on a repair on it.

It had one tooth missing on the front between the gates...

20201216_163121.jpg

I wasn't sure what would be the best way to repair it, so I just dug in and tried something.

First, I drilled and tapped a hole up through the broken surface.

20201216_163149.jpg

Then, after using a dremel to grind the broken surface back to clean metal, I threaded a #10-24 screw in the hole and cut the head off.

20201216_163212.jpg

Next, I fired up the tig welder and built the tooth back up using silicon bronze brazing wire.

20201216_163233.jpg

Finally, I spent about an hour blending the bronze back to something resembling the original shape.

20201216_163256.jpg

I'm not too displeased with how it turned out, and it should be strong enough with the bolt in the middle of the bronze.

-Bear

fantastic repair on both the gear box and the apron!

I did something similar to the worm gear housing on my SB lathe, though thankfully I could remove mine from the apron and get it up in the lathe. Took a bit of fiddling to the the right washer thickness so that the taper pin between the collar and the worm would line up.

Ok, I'll admit it... I made a mistake last week...

I planned Friday to assemble the apron and get it installed on the lathe... I spent about 4 hours cleaning the internal parts and reassembling everything back into the apron casting. That is when I discovered my error...

This lathe has a number of ball shaped plugs that thread into the various assemblies... they basically keep chips and dust out of the oiling system. Periodically, you unscrew these plugs and put a shot of oil in the holes behind the plugs, and the oil travels down brass tubes that direct the oil to the lubrication point in the apron.

After reassembling everything, I realized that I neglected to brush the dirt and crud out of these holes.

So, today I completely re-disassembled the apron, ran a bore brush through all of the holes, ran a tap through all the holes, re-brushed, and finally blowed the holes out with compressed air.

I started reassembling the apron, but had to stop to get ready to go to work.

20201221_202802.jpg

I'll finish it tomorrow, maybe...

-Bear

Real nice job on that Bear. Mike

I started reassembling the apron, but had to stop to get ready to go to work.

I hate having to stop important jobs just to go to work!
If it wasn't for being paid, I'd be out of there so quick.........

Retirement really isn't on the radar for me yet, and I can't imagine the freedom!

-brino

I hate having to stop important jobs just to go to work!
If it wasn't for being paid, I'd be out of there so quick.........

Retirement really isn't on the radar for me yet, and I can't imagine the freedom!

-brino

I know that feeling, I'm planning on retiring in 2032... if I am financially able to. I enjoy my job, though, it's more like a 'paying hobby' to me.

-Bear

Back