Mike's CNC G0704 - Block 4 Upgrades

Mill Column Reinforcement:

My testing made it clear to me that the column of this machine is the most anemic component in terms of total loop stiffness between the tool and the workpiece. This definitely falls in the realm of experimentation, but I'm somewhat excited to give it a try.

I have purchased a 29" cut of 6" x 18# MC steel channel. This is 6" wide, 3.5" deep on the walls. The wall thickness is just shy of 1/2" and the back wall is .397" thick. The channel weighs 18 lbs per foot. MC channel stands for Miscellaneous Channel and is preferred over C or U channel because it has parallel walls and is extra deep. This cost about $150 shipped

1689024142908.png

I plan to bolt this to the rear of the column, shimming to reduce any stress caused by the bolted connection. The inside walls of the MC channel and the outside of the column will be covered in many dozens of studs (perhaps short cap screws) to increase the surface area, and finally the void between the column and the channel filled with concrete (roughly 1/2" on all sides). I considered epoxy granite for the fill, however the cost (over $200 for epoxy alone) and the complexity of getting the proper aggregate made me stop considering the option. I may epoxy coat the inside of the channel and outside of the column in epoxy and sand to help the concrete bond to the surfaces. I would like to find some portland expanding cement which is touted to not shrink during curing and would ideally pre-tension the structure. Home Depot has Quikrete non-shrink precision grout for $16 a bag. Not bad!

Here is a view of the assembly cross section. The red represents the concrete fill. The channel is fairly narrow, so aggressive vibratory action will be needed to permit the concrete to flow properly.

1689042183514.png

The side walls will not be bolted to the column to reduce stresses and deformation of the original column and precision surfaces. The interference between the concrete and studs on the column will provide most of the structural strength.

A front view shows the increase in column thickness from roughly a 4" box section with a 5" face to a 6" box. This also shows the 12x18x3 granite surface plate which will become an integral machine member both for precision alignment and rigidity.

1689042304391.png

The rear of the column reinforcement will include access holes to attach the existing column to the base casting via 4 bolts, as well as some sort of beefy right angle brackets to rigidly fasten the column to the surface plate and tram the column for alignment. These brackets are not a final design.

1689042424717.png

When fully cured the way surfaces will be precision scraped.

This modification will take the mass of the column from 47lbs to 103lbs and the cross sectional area from 6.9 in^2 to 17.8 in^2. I don't believe the vibration damping properties of concrete match that of cast iron or epoxy concrete, however it should offer some benefits in that regard.

To facilitate scraping, three cast iron pads will be attached permanently to the rear of the column and scraped to create a 3 point planar kinematic mount. These will be scraped until the flat ways are as level as can be, then they will be referenced as a check surface against which the flat ways, mounting face, and dovetail ways will be scraped.

The column reinforcement will interfere with the existing cable chain and gas strut counterweight for the head and spindle, as well as all the column mounted hardware like the drawbar solenoid and computer mounting arm. These will need to be reattached to the MC channel.

Please give me some feedback on this idea! Channel has already been ordered so I’m trying this in one form or another.

EDIT:

Here is a revised concept for the column attachment using a pair of 3x3x3" ground cast iron universal angle plates from KBC tool. They would be bolted both to the granite and the column with some substantial bolts and torqued tight after the column is fully aligned/trammed in the X direction. These represent a lower cost way to reinforce the column without significant expenditure or custom machining.

1689088676003.png

Last edited:
How much of the “flexibility” of the column is attributed to the column itself as opposed to the attachment to the base? Would it make sense to create a thick mounting plate which bolted to the column (and you new channel), and the rear of the base?

How much of the “flexibility” of the column is attributed to the column itself as opposed to the attachment to the base? Would it make sense to create a thick mounting plate which bolted to the column (and you new channel), and the rear of the base?
That's a good question! and I'm not sure of the answer right now. That connection will be improved by:
  • Scraping both the base and column interface surfaces flat to a minimum of 5PPI all over. If the head casting was any indication of the quality of the other surfaces on the machine, this alone should help
  • Bolting the base casting to a granite plate with a scraped interface at a minimum of 5PPI all over. The base will flex from column motion and this should help a bit
  • The column will be bolted directly to the granite surface plate into some steel threaded inserts which will be knurl pressed into the granite and epoxied in place.
I could add extra steel between the base and column, but for time time being I'm hoping for the granite to be structural

Mike, I appreciate you sharing your upgrades and help to others on the forum. Love to see how your column reinforcements and base upgrades turn out. I started down this project a few years ago, but was not able to finish due to having a small family...which you can appreciate better now. For the angle brackets, could you do something more like i started with on my project. I thought the cast base was fairly "beefy" as comparted to column, but saw it didn't have much side load support in the X direction. I did some SWAG static FEA analysis to compare the differences and thought one of the weak point was the 4 mounting screws....hence using the guesset plate to spread out the load. I actually made a little report keeping track of the different iterations for concept development......I'll send it your way for inspiration :)

1689081889323.png
1689081919659.png

Just post for everyone to ready. These are notes I put together several years ago that helped me make the choices I made for the design I came up with

Mike, I appreciate you sharing your upgrades and help to others on the forum. Love to see how your column reinforcements and base upgrades turn out. I started down this project a few years ago, but was not able to finish due to having a small family...which you can appreciate better now. For the angle brackets, could you do something more like i started with on my project. I thought the cast base was fairly "beefy" as comparted to column, but saw it didn't have much side load support in the X direction. I did some SWAG static FEA analysis to compare the differences and thought one of the weak point was the 4 mounting screws....hence using the guesset plate to spread out the load. I actually made a little report keeping track of the different iterations for concept development......I'll send it your way for inspiration :)

View attachment 453596
View attachment 453597

Wow! That's incredible. I love the design.

No joke about time and a new family. My shop time is a small fraction of what it used to be, but still a good mental break for me.

I originally wanted to bolt to the base in more places, but I'm finding it easier to bolt to the granite sub plate instead. This all hinges on the success of diamond drilling and gluing in threaded inserts to the plate. If that turns out to be more difficult than expected or they pull out with little force, then my whole concept is in the garbage and I've made a heavier column with no improvement at the bolted connection.

Would love to give your notes a read when you get the chance to post them!

Here is the attachment. Notes are short without much explanation or have details into mesh, constraints, or joint definition.

Attachments

• Column Iteration.pdf
    822.7 KB · Views: 6
Wow! That's incredible. I love the design.

No joke about time and a new family. My shop time is a small fraction of what it used to be, but still a good mental break for me.

I originally wanted to bolt to the base in more places, but I'm finding it easier to bolt to the granite sub plate instead. This all hinges on the success of diamond drilling and gluing in threaded inserts to the plate. If that turns out to be more difficult than expected or they pull out with little force, then my whole concept is in the garbage and I've made a heavier column with no improvement at the bolted connection.

Would love to give your notes a read when you get the chance to post them!
When you drill the granite.
1) Use a diamond core type bit and a block of wood with a hole to stabilize the start.
2) Stick a wax bowl ring down and fill it with water for constant cooling.
My buddy used to drill aquariums like this.

My favorite counter top guy uses a big wet sponge and just drills straight through it!

Scraping the Straightedge (Part 1):

I took a stab at reconditioning my 30" straightedge which will be needed for scraping the dovetails on this machine. I have two straightedges, a 30" and a 37". The 37" is in better condition but both need to be rescraped to correct warpage from age and "storage" at a scrapyard/surplus place. I can't fit the 37" on my surface plate, and I'm somewhat nervous to mess it up. Figured I'd start with the 30" and see how it goes.

The 30" straightedge has two precision surfaces at somewhere around a 40 degree included angle. There is a deep and long gouge on one end of the wider face, and the backside and about half of the wider precision face has what appeared to be significant rusting.

image098.jpg

Thanks to the suggestion of @Rex Walters, I used some red scotchbrite and cutting oil to scrub the rust. To my surprise it came off in less than 60 seconds of scrubbing and left a great surface behind with almost zero pitting. A couple swipes with a PFG stone revealed all the original scraping marks.

image091.jpg

An initial markup with blue revealed the surface to be fairly flat with a slight bow to the ends. A hinging test confirmed this as the straightedge hinged at roughly 5% in from each end (target is 33% in from the end).

image092.jpg

One roughing pass brought contact all along the length of the bar, with the exception of the dish shown in sharpie.

image093.jpg

At this point I moved to a semi finishing and was able to get contact all over (albeit somewhat uneven in density) after 8 passes. I plan to scrape 3-4 more semi finishing passes before moving to pinpoint scraping to get to ~40 PPI for a gage surface.

Obviously the shorter angled face will also need to be finished as well.

The straightedge is long enough to complete this entire job, and the ways on my machine are narrow enough that the gouge won't even cover the ways during markup. My biggest concern is that the flat on the narrow edge is fairly wide (~1/8") and may prevent the tool from reaching to full depth in dovetails. The sliding members all look fine, but I'm not sure if relief grooves were provided on the longer ways. The 37" straightedge has a smaller flat, but again needs reconditioning.

Man I wish I owned a Biax scraper. Hand scraping is exhausting and my shoulder and neck are getting sore. Can't justify ~$600-1200 for one though.

A hinging test confirmed this as the straightedge hinged at roughly 5% in from each end (target is 33% in from the end).
Can you explain this, please?

Back