Mothering my mother

That is huge! Trying to move a parent into a home without their wanting to is a major issue. My girlfriend did near 20 years of home visits and seeing how some families dumped their parents into homes was a downer for her.
Pierre

Jeff, the first part of your message talks about your mom being in the hospital and doing rehab. My mom went into the hospital because of back pain and ended up transitioning from the hospital to rehab and never made it out. What I found is that they are so sedentary when they're in these facilities that they may only get out of bed once a day. You just can't keep your muscle tone when you're only getting out of bed once a day. It's imperative that they get more exercise than they want to give them. Because once you've lost muscle tone it is super difficult to get it back. My dad and I were both around and I thought we were being good advocates for her but the system just makes it extremely difficult to do. You have to be watching every minute when you're there. My brother and father went in one day and my mom was unresponsive and almost died at the rehab facility. Needless to say she didn't go back to that place. But she went to another place and never made it out of there either. I was just thankful to have seen her earlier the day that she ended up passing. Best of luck to you my friend

Dan

That is a real blessing Jeff.
My mom also realized that she could no longer care for herself.
All the kids breathed a high sigh of relief.
We moved her to a facility that was quite lovely, and was in my brother’s commute. He saw her twice a day every day for at least two years.

We have three facilities we are looking at today.
She has $2,000 a month SS and a sizable investment portfolio.
I guess mom is going to nibble away at my inheritance.Good for you mom!

Best to you and mom. What @DavidR8 said about visits will make all the difference for your mom.

John

Four is a charm.
No place is perfect, but we found a good place close to us.
$5,750 a month.
She has a one bedroom unit with a small living area, refrigerator and dinette.
All her meals and needs will be included.
I slept ****ty last night with all the things to do.
She has a two bedroom apartment full to the gills with her stuff.
Our boys are going to help on Friday to move what little she needs to make it her new downsized home.
The rest? What a PITA

You know, we have a lot to be thankful for.
I see these patients in the rehabilitation hospital, some young with some pretty severe physical and neurological limitations.
I am once again reminded to take every day as a blessing. Our world can change so fast.
Mom says to me, boy, I'm doing a lot better than some of these people!!
At 88 with low functioning kidneys, just had a stroke, needs help going to the toilet but yeah, she is right.

transitioning from the hospital to rehab and never made it out
We got lucky, the local hospital rehab dept. accepted her. They usually only accept those they feel they can help. She has two PT, OT and speech therapy sessions per day. 45 minutes each.
They work her like a dog.

Our situation is different in that mom insisted that she could continue to live alone at home, but facts said otherwise. Not bathing in over a month, never changing her clothes, and eating poorly. It became gallows humor to ask how she'd been eating, because we knew that she'd always say "Oh yes, I'm eating like a horse", and yet the refrigerator remained nearly untouched. The delusions got to a point though that the writing was on the wall, where she'd be accusing everyone of ridiculous things, but to her were as absolute truths. (I suspect that things get to a point where she is unable to differentiate dreams from reality.)

Anyway, we took her, unknowing, to a home nearly a year ago, and she has no concept of how long she's been there, but keeps asking when she can go home... sigh.

Perhaps the worse of this is that she's become either hard of hearing, or has trouble comprehending what's being said, probably both. Sadly, it effectively cuts her off from being able to converse with others. I remember a blind person saying once that they were glad that they weren't deaf, for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Oh man, that would be tough. When they just want to go home.
My dad was in a place for memory care. he had a brain tumor that was really messing with his critical thinking.
He just wanted to go home.
It broke my heart. Thankfully he only lived a couple months that way. He caught a cold and died of a heart attack due to his breathing difficulties.

Back