Mothering my mother

We’ve been working our buts off and have mom’s apartment ready for her arrival on Tuesday.
My wife's Oma had a similar setup in Grand Rapids that served her well for more than a decade. It's nice for older folks to be in a place where there are activities and people they can interact with. That's probably the only thing about having our mother at my house that's sub-optimal since most days she's just sitting here by herself while I'm at work.

It's nice that things are starting to get back to normal and I've been able to take her to exercise class (outside the past few months) but hopefully the senior center will start having more activities.

Looks like you've gotten the place fixed up and she will be able to call it home....

John

We pick up my mother today around noon.
She is going to spend her first night in her new smaller digs.
I think I'm more anxious than she is.
She told her sister that she is relieved to not have to try to continue life back at her apartment. It was just too hard to do everything!!
Knowing that helps.
She says things to her sister that she won't tell me.
I must be the enforcer. She knows I just want what's best for her, I want her to be happy.

Glad to hear your mother is doing better.
I can understand her desire to be in control of her own life.

That was tough.
She is wore out.
I hope she bounces back but, she seems to lose a bit more spunk with each new medical event.
Pretty normal I suppose.
Thank you all for the kind words of support. It means a lot.

Dad is paying about the same, although there are yearly increases and add ons as his capacity is getting less and less.

Mom will be broke in about 12 years at $5,750 a month :)
Fun Fun
That was the good thing about the place my wife's Oma was at. It was run by the Lutheran church and basically you gave up everything (house, investments, etc) but they promised to keep you there no matter how long you lived and the tier that required more care didn't cost extra.

Her last weeks she was in a shared room that she didn't like much but they did take good care of her (but with lots of oversight from my FIL and his daughters)....

You can worry about year 13 when you get there:)

John

Speaking of tiered care.
Her tier 3 may go to 4 if she keeps this up.
She fell 4 times since we moved her in yesterday.
The rehab place did not train on a wheelchair, just a walker.
After the third call last night my wife went to check on her. She fell, hit her head and refused to go for a CT scan.
She was crying and told my wife, I'm afraid they'll kick me out.

Jeff,

I have a tear in my eye right now.
It's not fair for her to feel like a burden at her new home.
She needs and deserves to feel welcome and secure!

Do they have the right staff to assess the causes of her falls?
Rugs and flooring transitions can be a problem.
So can simple disorientation, dehydration, medication changes, etc.

I wish you and her all the best!

Brian

Back