New EMCO Maximat V10 and Mystery Box of Accessories!

That block on the ways could be used to mount a magnetic indicator base. Adjustable parallels are used for several things, They can be used to gage machined slots in conjunction with a micrometer or set with a mike and used as a gage between a carriage stop and the carriage, and many other uses, a handy tool. The second indicator is a button back indicator

Thanks for the welcome mikey, and honored to have you respond so quickly to my first ever post. You are a bit of a legend on this forum as far as I can tell. I will heed your advice of not splitting up this tooling unless I've really given it a hard think. And yes, I think the previous owner would classify much more accurately as a discerning machinist and not a hoarder. I'm really floored by the attention to cleanliness, organization and maintenance I can observe on these tools.

Hardly a legend; more like a PITA that the guys tolerate.

While we all vicariously celebrate your good fortune, my mind went to the guy who sold his tools to you. It is clear he cared for his machine and tools and took pride in them. That he reached a point where he had to let them go is a sadness to me and I wish him well on what is left of his journey.

It looked to me like he knew to buy good tools. That Last Word indicator is oft maligned nowadays but it is quite a good little indicator. #2 is called a back button indicator and is good for sweeping a milling table or checking run out on a round thing; it is quite versatile. In with the thread pitch gauge are some fishtails (the arrow looking things) that you will need to grind accurate threading tools. #8 is a set of small hole gauges. These came in two varieties, the full ball and half ball. Yours are the half ball type that is useful for checking the ID of shallow holes; the full ball type requires a much deeper hole to be useful. #11 looks like it will fit into an indicator holder and allow you to position it where you need it; you may be too young to find this useful but just wait ...

I agree with BladesIIB that the thing that fits across the rails is probably a base upon which a homemade tool height setting gauge was perched.

The #2 indicator is of the button back type, the clamp is used to clamp the indicator to a machine part.
The adjustable parallels are a handy tool, can be used to gage a slot, or as a gage between a carriage stop and the carriage.
The big block on the ways could be used to mount a magnetic base for indicating work.
#14 is a center head for a combination square.

While we all vicariously celebrate your good fortune, my mind went to the guy who sold his tools to you. It is clear he cared for his machine and tools and took pride in them. That he reached a point where he had to let them go is a sadness to me and I wish him well on what is left of his journey.

It looked to me like he knew to buy good tools. That Last Word indicator is oft maligned nowadays but it is quite a good little indicator. #2 is called a back button indicator and is good for sweeping a milling table or checking run out on a round thing; it is quite versatile. In with the thread pitch gauge are some fishtails (the arrow looking things) that you will need to grind accurate threading tools. #8 is a set of small hole gauges. These came in two varieties, the full ball and half ball. Yours are the half ball type that is useful for checking the ID of shallow holes; the full ball type requires a much deeper hole to be useful. #11 looks like it will fit into an indicator holder and allow you to position it where you need it; you may be too young to find this useful but just wait ...

I agree with BladesIIB that the thing that fits across the rails is probably a base upon which a homemade tool height setting gauge was perched.
The last word indicator is not maligned by me, I have been using the same one now for well over 50 years, they are simple and work just fine.

#6 is an adjustable die maker's square; You should find a copy of the Starrett catalog, it would be helpful to describe the tools in more detail.

13 is also part of your combination square set, the protractor. You can set the angle or hold it on an existing piece and use the level to figure out an angle. Very useful tool.

Mikey, going through these items I've had the same feeling. Especially the hand written notes he left behind on machine adjustments and settings. What would I think of someone in 50 years from now looking through my prized tooling collection? It's a strange thought. Sadly, the original owner, Mr, David Goodman, passed some 10 years ago. His family kept much of his shop preserved this last decade and are now selling it off bit by bit. I expect Covid has had some impact on their need to liquidate but that is just speculation. I'm going to do my best to give it all a new loving home.

Back