Problem with pm932m quickly resolved by Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The frustration level here seems to be at the high end of the scale and I can understand that. I purchased my 727m from QMT and was tickled to have the machine and still am. I had an issue with the motor a few months into ownership and thought what the heck here we go down the warranty parts rabbit hole. I sent Matt an email on Sat morning with pictures and the best description I could adding in the email I would call on Monday. I had a reply email by noon on Saturday! We had the details worked out that day and I had the new motor on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I got lucky as far as QMT having the motor on hand and that there was no extra hands involved in getting the part. Now to me that's customer service. Is my mill made in China yup, is it perfect nope, but it was what I could afford and based on what I had read here on H-M I thought I had the best chance with QMT. So Matt if you are reading this thank you, umahunter I'm sure Matt will get your issue resolved and I do understand your frustration. Keep smiling guys things will get better! :encourage:

Well my spindle finally arrived today and even though the box was busted open a bit on both ends the spindle seems to be ok from looking at it and low and behold you can pop collet in by hand and it stays in place hoping to start working on it tomorrow my helper had shoulder surgery this morning so I'm lil tied up today but it's here and way better than the spindle in there now and it seems to have survived shipping

Well my spindle finally arrived today and even though the box was busted open a bit on both ends the spindle seems to be ok from looking at it and low and behold you can pop collet in by hand and it stays in place hoping to start working on it tomorrow my helper had shoulder surgery this morning so I'm lil tied up today but it's here and way better than the spindle in there now and it seems to have survived shipping

You are supposed to install a part that is covered under warranty?

You are supposed to install a part that is covered under warranty?

For high end pro-level equipment, you can buy a setup package for onsite installation and also purchase a labor warranty. The cost is usually negotiable but 5-10% of the purchase fee is customary. For small equipment like this, there are no companies that I'm aware of that offer such warranties or insurance policies.

Ray

Buying from China is hit or miss and consumers need to understand that risk when making a purchase. I'm in manufacturing and I'll be out of a job when they figure out how to get it right the first time. I also have a garage full of Chinese equipment that I couldn't afford if it wasn't so cheap. I'm ok with the risk and also ok with their lack of control.

I want to give some recognition to Matt, I think he’s a very honorable and straightforward guy. But when dealing with China, They have a totally different mentality then we do here in the west. If you expect them to get it done yesterday; 100% perfect, then you will be somewhat disappointed.

I have a friend of mine I’ve known since high school who is always an entrepreneur. He moved to China shortly after graduating from college and actually set up an importation Business. In fact, he even learn to speak Mandarin Chinese. He had them make a number of rather unusual items, one of which I recall is one of those so-called electronic flyswatter’s. He also impored sky lanterns by the millions. He told me That when having business deals with them,you have to be rather sensitive to the Chinese culture.

Apparently, they have dozens of holidays, cultural events, and other festivals that you must recognize and acknowledge, and not really expect to get things done during these times. Also, whatever you want to build, if you tell them how much you want to pay, they will figure some way to get it done no matter how they have to cut corners. If you want something done with a higher quality, they will do that, but of course you may have to wait a little longer and of course pay more.
This is why you see machines that look very similar in appearance, from companies like Harbor freight, grizzly and PM but vary greatly in fit finish and overall quality.

From what I understand, in the factories, they have what we in America would call the A, B and C team. From my understanding, the C team may include some convict or forced type labor, they will get it done at rock bottom type prices with concurrent quality consistent with this . .I guess all of this basically comes down to the fact that every once in a while, you are going to have a lemon or two sneak out.

Please understand, I’m not saying that either one of you two are wrong. You have every right to expect a functioning machine, and I’m sure Matt will do everything in his power to let that happen, but also understand you are not buying an American or European type machine nor paying American or European prices, so you have to work with the Asian type quality, mentality and time frame.

Good luck, and I hope your dog recovers very quickly from his procedure.

I bought a pm 1340 got (Taiwan) ,added hitachi vfd .nice size and footprint,tie under .00005(yes 4 zeros) ways perfect,apron crosslide great.
Used ,looked for a year with little success.and the time.
If you spend $15k a lot of worries go away but who has that for a hobby.
Matt gives a nice balance with the Taiwan machines:adore:

Some of you expect an awful lot from the cheapest Chinese made stuff.

I think that people are just expecting things to work and work well. I don’t think there are disclaimers on certain machines that they are price point units and the end user should expect to have problems and expect to work on the machine themselves when you eventually get the pats you need.

What do you think folks should expect?

Reactions: Z2V
Expecting a Chinese made machine to "work well" is too much to expect IMO. Every Chinese machine I have seen/worked on/owned was basically a pre-assembled kit that needed to be torn apart, reworked, and have parts replaced to get it to serviceable condition. The last Chinese machine I owned, a 9x40 mill, took me over a year of work to get it right.

While some folks will be satisfied with a Chinese machine right out of the box, most of the more serious hobby types will be in for some level of disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back