Well... I finally did it. PM-833TV (now in my shop!)

So still haven't wrestled this thing up onto the stand yet, making sure I have a good plan before I act.

But, I've wired up a power plug while getting ready, and it struck me: there is no on-off switch on this thing. Maybe they expect people to power it off a wall mounted switch box. I don't want to get behind the machine to operate an on-off switch like that, so am thinking of getting a switch to mount on the left side of the control box here. The power cord comes in the top, and there's plenty of room inside, so should be easy. Anyone done this with an 833?

PM11.jpg

Last edited:
You are bringing up a good point.

This is what I did to my 833T (not TV) so I am not sure if it is the best solution for you but might be a partial solution and might help others.

I don't like the rotary switch with a center off position (STOP), clockwise rotation to the left (FWD) and counter clockwise to the right (REV). I think it is unsafe as there is no way to quickly STOP the rotation, it is inconvenient to have to turn a rotary switch ON or OFF, can be confusing and error prone when you use a cutter that needs to be used in CCW (REV) direction and generally stupid for lack of better description... I have seen this on multiple machines (my RF25 had the same problem, I fixed it the same way) so this is not unique to PM.

The way that I solved it for now is the addition of a magnetic switch on the main power feed before the rotary switch. This solves all the above problems and is easy to do on the PM833T. My plan is to eventually replace my motor with a 3 phase motor and a VFD but for now I am OK.

20200420_022553 c.jpg
20200509_215243 c1.jpg

This is the 220 volt magnetic switch that I used:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005W17HSA

With a VFD (as in the 833TV) it is a little bit different as you do not want to switch the main power to the VFD on/off all the time. A better solution will be to modify the 3 position rotary switch with a 2 position switch for forward and reverse and ON push button that works with the STOP switch.

For turning the machine OFF 100%, an additional 2 pole switch to cut off the 220 volt needs to be added. You can use the magnetic switch as I did externally but I don't think that it is a good idea to use this to turn the motor (and the VFD) on/off while using the mill. I think that a better solution is to add a 2 pole switch inside the box facing the side (if there is space) and it will become the master switch. You can just add this and not modify the rotary switch if you can live with it.

Here are some switches you can use:
https://smile.amazon.com/Twidec-Position-Wear-resistant-Warranty-4210BK/dp/B07VJ43B7C
https://smile.amazon.com/Twidec-Rocker-Toggle-Position-Waterproof/dp/B07LBMZT3T
https://www.mcmaster.com/8001K85/

Ariel

Thanks for the information @ahazi - I may need to plug this thing in to find out, but now that I'm looking at the control panel again wondering if the lower left rotation direction switch is "off" when in the middle position, like it is now. Maybe that icon of a cutter is the off position*.

*confirmed by an email to PM, which was answered immediately. I still want to add an independent main on/off switch on the left side of the control panel.

"I think that a better solution is to add a 2 pole switch inside the box facing the side (if there is space) and it will become the master switch. You can just add this and not modify the rotary switch if you can live with it."

^^^I think this is what I'll do.

PM12.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like that machine might just be what I am looking for...
Congrats man, I'm in the market for a mill too... I just have no idea what one to get yet. But I'm jelious you lucky dog.

That a sweet looking mill, and no doubt capable of most everything i bet.

Mr Mike, I think it is going to be perfect for my shop. Just don't take 3 months to decide, like I did, LOL... :D

It's now bolted down and I'm working on installing the handles and vise.

Done1.jpg

And, in it's new home between the lathe and the welder.

Done2.jpg

Mr Mike, I think it is going to be perfect for my shop. Just don't take 3 months to decide, like I did, LOL... :D

It's now bolted down and I'm working on installing the handles and vise.

View attachment 336036

And, in it's new home between the lathe and the welder.

View attachment 336037

Just how i like my stuff clean and in order.... well except for the order part... still working on that but I like my tools clean...

Hey on another note did you fill the cement relief lines in then epoxy the floors or their just small to begin with so you can roll stuff over them without hassle... thinking of doing the same look as your floor.

Thanks Mike

Nice shop and congratulations.
Your bikes remind me of my 1980 Yamaha XS1100 Special. Fast son of a gun. Best not go into a turn.
When I started a family, I sold it. When the kids were grown and gone, I bought a new BMW R1200 RT.
Sold it when I hit 60.

Back